1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to go from 4x10 to a combo. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Jan 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Right now I'm a 4x10 guy. My primary gigging amp is a classic SWR SM-400 with matching Goliath 4x10. I also have a Peavey Firebass II 700 with Peavey Tour TVX 4x10 (150Lbs of awkward weight). I also own a TNT 115 combo that does well on many gigs but is too, a heavy awkward amp with only one handle in the top.

A week ago I went to a work party at a conference center and the bass player was holding down the low end with a 6 piece band with a Markbass Mini CMD 121P 1x12. Man did that sound. I'm enticing the idea of selling one of both of the big 4x10 setups and grabbing one of these. Other amps I had in mind is the Ampeg V4-B with 212 cab or maybe one of the Markbass 210 combos. Any recommendations? An amp that could rock bars, weddings and jam sessions would be awesome.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Get the V4B and two matching 212s. One for smaller gigs and two for big gigs. Steamroller.

MattZilla and Crusher47 like this.
  3. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Obviously by my avatar I'm partial to GK stuff. They are at least worth checking out due to power and weight considerations. My son uses a GK MB212 which is a full 500 watts and it weighs maybe 40lbs.

shawshank72, packhowitzer and scuzzy like this.
  4. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    One of the issues I'm having or really more of an issue my lead guitarist is having is the thickness of my bass sound with the 410 setup. It does fill the room pretty good and blanket our sound. An amp that can dial between thick and thinner sound for different venues would be cool. I'm liking the idea of a V4-B more and more though. This next amp is my BIFL (buy it for life) amp that's going to replace all my current gear.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    This is an excellent suggestion. Alternatively, GK's MB410-II which has the same 500 watts of output power and weights only 49 lbs is another killer combo.

TD

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I went from a Mesa 400+/2 Goliath III 410s to an Eden 300 WT/2 Goliath III 410s, to the Eden with a 210xlt/115xlt.

I got a LMII to run the Goliaths for a little more headroom. Eventually I got rid of the Goliaths and picked up a Markbass CMD 102P, and then a matching 102HF. I liked it and still have it. Eventually looking for a lighter alternative I got an Audiokinesis Thunderchild composite 115 to match with the LMII and used it for my gigging rig.

Now I use them interchangeably since I always take a backup rig and the Audiokinesis can be overwhelming in small venues.

I like Markbass cabs and amps enough that I have since bought a cmd121h for my home rig, and IMO it is the best rig I have ever heard /owned. $ is not an issue, I play what I like.

7. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    I actually have an MB500 head and a 410MBE cab that weighs about the same total. Stands it's own with both my guitarists Mesa Boogie half stacks. I own the GK MB112 combo as well. It's no slouch either at 200 watts and very lightweight.

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    MB 500 head with a pair of Neo 112-II's - here - one 12 for smaller gigs and two for bigger.
    I had a Bassman 100T for a while - sounded great, but 48 lbs vs a tiny 4 lbs for the MB500. Never used the 100T, sold it. I'm old and busted up though - weight and number of trips is an issue for me.

9. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    I actually thought about going to a pair of 212s but I don't know if I would really gain much other than having a taller stack.

tbirdsp likes this.
  10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    My rig. Having a taller stack definitely gets the sound closer to you ears. Plus having 1000 watts doesn't hurt.

GK_4-2_zps20d588a4. GK_3-2_zps630140e0.

TD

Lovep, Buzz E, JGbassman and 2 others like this.
  11. That looks absolutely awesome...

12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Believe me, it is!

TD

ZenG likes this.
  13. I have a pair of MB115s. I leave one at the drummers house and one in my basement. Bring em both for bigger gigs or outdoor gigs. My buddy has the MB112 and loves it, plenty loud also.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'll concur with the GK MB112 being one of the best 112 combo's out there. I have the 112 and two of the powered cabinets. It will run circles around a Markbass because the GK powered cabinets have dedicated power. So instead of dividing your power with the Markbass, you double your power with the GK. I even have a second powered 112 and I'll use all three if I want to destroy small buildings.

15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Another in the GK group. I have the mb212. They are amazing. Can't go wrong.

16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You could get that Markbass combo with an extension cab and you'll sound even better than that guy. 2 112's sound way better than 1.

But don't just focus on combos. I use a 500 watt amp and 2 quality 112 cabs. I'm louder than I was with my 410 and I sound better.

17. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Its always nice to have a bass head, it just opens options to multiple set ups, a combo is convenient in itself to grab and go, thats why i own both. Put some thought into this?

18. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    how are you at woodworking.......
    my fearful 12/6/1 combo will blow most amps of similar and larger size out the door it weighs about 65lb with the MB800F and EQ and is custom built to my specs(by me)
    momand dad 001.JPG
    I built this one with the drivers inverted (tweet/mid on bottom ) so it can be placed on top of another standard fearful cab and the hi/mid drivers will be properly grouped like this
    20160617_205955. to be honest this rig is massive overkill for me because I feel like just the 1212/6/1 cab alone will fill any need that I would have used my 2x410 gk neo cab for in the past.
    these cabs are for sure my BIFL cabs except for the fact that I love to build so at some point im sure I will build myself a 1515/66/1 cab just because I want to.
    plans for these cabs are free from greenboy designs or you can order one custom made from an authorized builder
    you can also buy driver kits with prebuilt crossovers and "flatpack kits" with precut wood as well from speakerhardware.com but those will not include the built in rack box

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    JGbassman and eriky4003 like this.
  19. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I think I'm going to lean more towards that. I'm getting very tempted to get the Ampeg V-4B and the AV212 cab that way I can add on another 212 cab for bigger gigs. Plus I just love Ampeg tube tone.

Artobass and Crusher47 like this.
  20. GPX1200 - A 12/6/1 OVER a 12/12/6/1! Talk about a WMD! Your neighbours are probably wondering if they live in an earthquake zone.

gpx1200 likes this.