1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to jazz up an old Squier...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lenam909, Apr 17, 2009.

1. I've got a Squier Stratocaster but i'm also going to buy a squier bass as a back up guitar at gigs and fit it with some upgraded pickups. I want to give them a unique paint job (i've got a few designs figured out), but there are a few things i'm not completely sure about;

1. What kind of paint can I use, i'm thinking the same spray paint used on cars/bikes since I have access to a lot of it, yellow and black for one of the designs and a chrome effect spray paint for another design, is that ok or a big mistake?

2. Is it possible to stain a rosewood fingerboard black? If so, what would I use?

3. I want to match up the headstocks to the body, is there a way to paint the headstock so that the decal is still visible? I've got the idea that if I paint over the decal in fiberglass or draw over it with wax, then spray paint the headstock, I can then remove the fibreglass or wax and the decal will still remain, what do you think? If i'm going to have to say bye-bye to the decal, how do you apply them and can you even aapply them over a spray painted surface?

If anyone has any other tips they'd like to share with someone looking to get into customizing guitars i'd love to hear them.

2. 1. Not sure about the spray paint. It probably would work. But how it comes out is anyones guess. If you can get it easy enough just do a test on a scrap piece of wood.

2. Yes. Go to your local hardware store and tell them what you want to do and they will sort you out.

3. It would be much easier to remove the decal and reapply. Yes it can be applied to a spray painted surface, heres a good tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm

All the best. Dont forget to post pics when your done

3. Cheers for that link. I've been to a hardware shop just downtown and they're ordering some that's apparently good on dark woods such as rosewood, hopefully they haven't ordered the most expensive thing they can flog to me but I haven't agreed to pay for it yet so i'll see what they've got when they give me a ring. My friend recently sprayed an old encore body with red enamel bike paint and it looks pretty good, got a really nice texture to it aswell, something a bit different.

Keeping a bit of a diary as I go and taking pictures after each stage. I'll be sure to post them once i'm done.

4. You probably should think about some kind of clear coat over whatever type of spray paint you end up using.