Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to lighten/upgrade: GK to a different GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Right now I have a GK 400RB 210 combo. By itself it's 150W into 2 10's. I'm looking for something a little easier to carry around but without losing good sound or volume. The 700 neo 112 is looking nice, as it's 15 pounds lighter and 320W. From what I've read I tend to think that it will be louder than my combo, but I know 2 10's move more air, so how might the sound and volume compare?

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I think page 3 warrants a bump

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've played through the 700 Neo combo a few times and it sounds really, really good!
    The TBer "BassoGruvitas" is the owner of it and he absolutely loves it. He gigs with it regularly. He's a monster player that is in regular demand here in the Dallas area.
    I'm sure that he can give you a far better description of it than I can. I've only played through his at practice levels a couple times, but I can tell you that it puts our a really full, clean, clear tone and that it handles the low B no sweat!
    Plenty of volume too! It gets really loud, really quick.
    I'm seriously considering picking one up!
    Just my $.02.

4. I have been using the 700/112 NEO for a few months and it is a fantastic amp. Plenty of sound and it's easy to transport with both the top handle and the well placed metal handles on the sides. Don't forget that adding another NEO 112 or any other 8 ohm cabinet will get you up to 480W of power. If you already are happy with your 400RB combo you will only be happier with the NEO combo. They are great soudning combos that deliver plenty of room filling sound!

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Matt and Bluesman are right -- the rig rocks. I have it in separates form, 700RB-II and Neo112 cab. It really sounds huge, with solid low end, and I've used it for a rock set in a small club, no problem. In fact, I plan to do that again Thursday night. I maximize the efficiency with an Aphex Punch Factory compressor. I think it would sound bigger than your combo, largely because of the 700RB-II, which is a monster.