1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to modify Fender jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 25, 2013.

1. I dig the sound of these pickups but the pole pieces get in the way of my playing. Any ideas? As far as I remember, Fender pickups can't be removed from their covers.

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I thought on Fenders you can.

3. Just get covers with no pole piece holes. And try to shim up the area around the pole pieces to avoid excess pressure on them, when the pickup is screwed down.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Some JB pickups use one piece plastic bobbins. You'll have to remove it and look at the bottom. If there are square holes between the magnets, they are (might be) one piece bobbins with the magnets encased in the plastic, so it's safe to move them since they don't come in direct contact with the coil wire.

I believe there'll be a fairly long number on the bottom, made that way (not written).

Some Fender Strat Am Std are similar, if you're familiar with those.