1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to modify Squier Bronco Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tylerrasnakev2, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    Hello everyone. I'm a new member around here, have been browsing for several months. I come to you all today to look for some assistance with modifying a Squier Bronco Bass.

[​IMG]

Now, I've never actually done any modifications to instruments before. I own a Squier CV 60's Jazz Bass, that I plan on selling pretty soon to afford a Squier Bronco Bass. Why? I don't really know, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'd like to switch out the bridge, the pickup, the tuners, replace the pickguard with a pearloid white one, add a racing stripe decal, and finally add a Fender decal on the headstock. I've been doing a little research, but I'm afraid I don't know too much about bridges and such. I'd like to do as little drilling and painting as possible, so a bridge that fits the old one would be nice. Tuners are a lot more expensive that I thought, but I'd like to replace them with something nicer. I've been looking into some lipstick pickups, but I'm afraid I don't know much about that either. :help:

Does anyone have an recommendations as far as parts go, that wouldn't run me over $350.00? It's kind of low budgeted, and I know I could buy an SX for cheaper, but I've got my mind set on it.

Thanks,
    tylerrasnakev2

*edit: Just noticed a thread titled, "Reasons not to modify a Squier Bronco." Ha, oh well, I may or may not, depends on what I can find for relatively cheap. I'm not spending even within $200.00 of a Fender Mustang Bass to pretty up a Bronco. :p

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You're in my head - I did this mockup of a future project last night. I'm gonna strip the Bronco, refin in Seafoam Green with Competition Stripes (still deciding between white, dark blue, and black), add a aged pearloid guard, reshape and spray the neck with nitro, upgrade the tunes and bridge, upgrade the pickup, etc.. I want to give it as a gift to my girlfriend.

BRONCOMOCKUP.

3. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    I'm not even sure it would sound like a $500.00 bass if I put $500.00 worth of work into it. I'd love to buy a Rondo, and modify it a little bit, but the new headstocks are ugly beyond reason.

If you could find a $300.00 bass that looks and sounds as nice as the $300.00 guitars you can find...

4. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Modding a instrument like this is for "fun" and "experience". Just do it because you want to learn, and don't worry so much about the "money vs. return on investment" thing.

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Why? The stock neck is the best part of those basses.

6. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    i put a seymour duncan rail type strat pickup and flats and love it. records very nice. i've thought of switching to a musicmaster or mustang bridge but the stock bridge isn't bothering me much. i have new tuners i'm gonna put in, i'd def. do that before replacing the bridge.

7. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    I'm looking for the fun and experience of it, but I'm also looking to end up with a quality instrument in the end. All I'll have money for immediately are the strings and the pickup, so I'm more or less looking for recommendations on the pickup. I've heard a lot of people use that Seymour Duncan rail-type strat pickup when modifying it. Anyone care to link me to it?

8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Because I prefer a smoother heel transition (like the early Fenders), A slight soft "V" shape, and because i like the edges of the fingerboard rolled.

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

You can get the Duncan, or you could just go for one of the rail style pickups at GFS (Guitar Fetish) if you want to save some $$$. It will sound really good. Just go for the "Vintage" GFS (Or Duncan "Cool Rails").

:)

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I have a GFS Lil Killer 10K (modern) rail arriving on Monday. I'll try to post an A/B comparison when I get it installed.

11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cool - definitely post it. Make sure that you don't use a noise gate when recording, so that you can hear the difference in the 60 cycle buzz as well as in the tone.

12. I recently modified a bronco bass I purchased from a friend for $60. I purchased a 4-saddle bridge ($10), GFS Lil Killer 10k pickup ($25), P-bass control harness with CTS volume and tone pots with Sprague Orange Drop 0.022 Capacitor and Switchcraft Jack ($40 via Paul's Parlor Guitars on eBay) black generic Grover-type sealed tuners ($15), and Rotosound 66 short-scale strings ($20). This is a killer bass now for only $20 more than the original price.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
  13. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I modified my $60 Bronco.

It cost $13 for a cheap pickguard that I
    made a pickup ring out of.

I already had a nice P bass pickup and