1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to move.Tell me something about your city you love and why I should be there!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Tell me what you love BUT... without mentioning the following:
    • food/dining/bars
    • weather
    • music scene
    • "scenery". (I don't care if I can LOOK at mountains in the distance, or trees, or whatever)
    • culture or "downtown/uptown" (you mention some about this, but I'm not into the whole "charm" thing as much as I am into "doing activities" things)

Only requirements:

1. Must be larger than 30,000
    2. Must be in the USA

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I live here.

Was that discouraging enough?

3. Cleveland. Because we like to b***h about stuff.

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Canada > USA

6. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Ok well as far as Tampa is concerned, I'll just bullet point some topics.

• Tampa's home to the original, and true, Cuban sandwich, from the 20s and 30s when Cuban immigrants were rolling cigars in Ybor City, which brings me to my second point.
    • Ybor City is probably one of the coolest little sub-cities out there. Full of old-school, traditional 1920s and 30s charm and construction, it's a great destination for people who want to really immerse themselves in that type of culture. There is also a thriving craft-beer industry in the Tampa Bay area, with (in my opinion) Cigar City Brewing Company taking the lead, but with many others following close behind, including Tampa Bay Brewing Company, located in the heart of Ybor, where you can have a great beer while eating a great pressed Cuban sandwich.
    • The weather here is phenomenal. It doesn't rain all that much honestly, is usually nice and sunny and fair most times out of the year, except for the months of June, July, August, September, where it turns into the sweaty ass of Satan, but fortunately every building has A/C, so it's not too bad.
    • The Music Scene isn't too bad here, but it's far from spectacular.
    • No matter where you are, you're never more than about 45 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, which is a lovely temperature during the spring and summer months, from about April to September (and occasionally October). The rest of the months it's pretty cold for us native Floridians, but many of the transplants still find it tolerable.

Oh wait, you didn't want me to talk about all of the stuff that most people care about when they move. Um....we have hurricanes and fairly cheap gas.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Chicago. Friendly big city with a great music scene.

• Jai Alai IPA is a thing of beauty! it might just be my favourite beer. Going to make a trip to Ybor City when we're down that way in May.

I don't live in the US so I can't offer anything else to this thread, but I think availability of craft beer is something that would attract me to a particular city.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Craft Beer is widely available in just about every major US city these days, likely in a lot of smaller cities/towns as well.

9. I know. It's the golden age of craft brewing in the States!

Hard to get fresh Cigar City beers on tap in Seattle, though. :D

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    It's my favorite, by leaps and bounds. I really do consider it just about the perfect beer, and so have pretty much everyone I've let try it, or bought one for.

11. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    You don't want to move to Seattle...

It rains ALL the time.

There are no excellent micro breweries, there is no thriving and diverse music scene, the mountains are forty minutes away and skiing/snowboarding is too much effort anyway, the seafood is terrible and the restaurant selection is in no way epically diverse, and there are no good looking people here...

I keed. Seattle is freaking awesome. The only things that truly do suck here are the traffic and housing prices. The winters are long and dark, but not cold. The grass turns brown in the summer and Seattle summers are our best kept secret. They're amazing. If you like mountains and water, this is the place to be. I'd have to be paid a ridiculous amount of money to live anywhere else in the US.

12. slobake

I love Seattle and the San Juan Islands. I really like Portland, Oregon too.

13. Agreed. It really is that good. :)

I only get to drink it once a year and this year's time is coming soon!

14. Useful info on Seattle, thanks. Everyone living there that I've met is delusional about the rain. I agree that it's overblown and doesn't rain EVERY day, but it does get more than a foot more precipitation per year than places I've lived, and temperatures are almost never hot. (which unlike most people, is a negative for me. I like it in the 80s and 90s. :D) I've lived in Minneapolis and thought parts were too hippie, not sure if I could survive Washington... ;)

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    What Marial said.......

Seattle rules, as does the rest of Washington State ;)

16. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    If you ever find your way down to Tampa during Hockey season, I'll take you to my favorite Hockey Bar, where they have Jai Alai in plenty and buy you one.

17. slobake

You would hate San Francisco, it almost never gets that hot and it would be way too hippie for you. :p

18. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Booms Day, Guavaween, Mons Venus just over tthe bridge....LMFAO

19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yeah, it's a little crunchy here, but if you cross Lake Washington and hang out in Kirkland or Bellevue you can find a much less hippie/outdoorsy environment. That's the politest way I can put it... I'm not a big fan of the 'east side'. And no, it doesn't get proper hot here beyond one week out of the year, usually in August or September.

I went to college in St Paul (grew up in Columbus, OH), and I could not wait to get the flock out of the midwest. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. I'd be very happy living in the British Isles since I like a very temperate climate, hence Seattle is perfect for me. That said, there are a couple of things I do miss about the midwest: good tomatoes and thunderstorms.

Oddest thing about Seattle? Since moving here in '98 I've yet to see a single cockroach. Their absence, however, is more than made up for by the spider population.