1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to move WEST Colorado, New Mexico, Montana,?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spencer, Sep 26, 2009.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Im looking to get the hell out of louisiana, and there is a possible job in Colorado, a place I would always love to see. Anyways If I make a permanent move, what should I get used to? I know one thing is the COLD, I love the cold. Except when I have to work in it. Which would be everyday for me... Im from louisiana by the way

How would you describe to me the difference in lifestyle, heres what Im used to..

Swamps, Swampy Lakes, Swampy Rivers, Humid, Hot, Misquote Ridden, Not a hill in sight for MILES AND MILES, Red Necks, No music scene except in New Orleans, Good Economy,

I plan on taking a road trip maybe next month. If I don't already have a job there.

How hard is it to put up with the cold? I have only seen snow maybe 3 times. How do you have to adjust your lifestyle?

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Good Economy, It don't exist here. As for the cold well buy a coat.

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    There's quite a bit of difference between New Mexico and Montana.

The economy is tough everywhere, the west included.

4. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Man, I KNOW that.. lol but they both arent tottally flat like here, I know that much too..

Economy might be tough but my job field seems to be just fine. I know there are jobs in my field in colorado

5. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    There are places in both of those states that are as flat and barren as any.

The majority of Colorado is so flat that you can see the curvature of the earth. Cold? Yeah, sometimes. But no bugs like you have in the swamp.

If you think you can make a go of it here, come on and give it a shot. If you don't like it, you can always go back home. A lot of people do just that.

6. curandero

curandero

Feb 19, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    The Rocky Mountains are awesome. If you like the outdoors, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing, rock climbing, etc etc etc... you just can't go wrong.

7. Montana is incredible! What do you do for a living?

8. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    industrial electrician

9. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Four Wheel Drive
    Long Underwear
    Ski Pass

10. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    you might really like it!

big difference is the climate--it still gets hot during the day in season in many parts of new mexico and colorado, but unlike the se, it cools off at night

as mentioned, it depends on where you move as to whether you'll see flat, high desert or mountains...but there are great places to live no matter what you like

11. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Got the 4 wheel drive

Need Long Underwear and learn how to ski..

I love off roading, and I love hunting and such, Im sure its not all mountains, but at least you have some within your state!!!

12. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Really, thanks!!

What about population density? Are there many SMALL communities? Thats what Im really looking for, small communities, the type where everyone knows everyone. We have a few of them down here. I would love to be secluded but, not too far of a drive to a large city

13. I'm from Pennsylvania, but lived in Denver for about a year recently. The climate compared to PA was MUCH nicer all around. Sun always shined, got very little snow (compared to PA), and it was just nice. Very low humidity. I had to deal with some nose bleeds after I moved out there because the air is so dry.

Denver is an amazing city. Look east, super flat, look west, the Rockies are literally right there.

I've only been back to PA a few months and am already considering heading BACK to Denver!

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    For the cold . . . layers!

15. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    yes, if you are looking for small, secluded communities that aren't very far from a larger city, new mexico and colorado both have a multitude of choices...what you might find is a small place that will have a decent tourist influx for ski/snowboarding season--Red River, NM comes to mind--really small, secluded, great place for winter or summer outdoor activities, and not too too far from Santa Fe...if you want even smaller than that, there's Eagle Nest just down the road from Red River, and it's a great place for quiet living, fishing, enjoying the scenic surroundings

16. Montana is all about small communities. Even the big cities (Billings 104k, Missoula 69k, Great Falls 60k) are real not that big. It is a BIG state and it is hours on the freeway to get to that next BIG city.

I think you may need to live in one of the largest cities with your profession unless you are lucky or like to drive a lot.

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007

They are around - and have been discovered!!
    Like anywhere else - the more desireable (quaint, laid back, beautiful, ect) the more that it costs to live there.

There are some big differences from living on the flat and living in the mountains.

I live in the mountains. Median home prices here are 400K and the average job pays like $10. per hour. Mainly just service jobs around the resorts (housekeepers, bartenders, waiters, ect) and they dont pay worth a crap!

I just got offered a job last week as a mechanic on the snow cats, snowmobliles and plows up at the ski area. $13 bucks an hour - I told them no thanks.

I like it in Montana.... maybe I'll move there some day. Maybe Wyoming.

18. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    agree

19. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I actuall do like to drive alot and I don't plan on doing this forever. Also sometimes plants are innthe middle of nowhere. I really want to one day move to the most secluded place I can, Montana, Alaska and just live there only occupation is whatever I could do as far as using the land, no electricity no running water no job, no bass :(

20. Denver is pretty densely populated, although no where near as bad as NYC and other eastern seaboard cities. MOst of the midwest is also fairly high in elevation, so be prepared for altitude sickness for a few months until you acclimate. It's also a lot drier; be sure to get a humidifier your first year or you'll probably have nosebleeds a lot. Not very many bugs, almost no cockroaches (but you'll still have the mini vampires / mosquitos, believe me!) unless you're living in a really nasty apartment building. Lots of blowing sand and dust in the summer, blowing snow in the winter (we used to call the tendrils of blowing snow on the roads 'snow snakes' and joke that if you got bit by one, the result was frostbite...) Wear layers of clothing that you can take off /add to as needed. Keep a few blankets, a box of cheerios, cat litter (to give your tires some traction on icy roads), etc in your car ALL YEAR LONG - we had occasional ice storms and such even into July and as early as the end of Sept. Even in summer, it can be in the 80s when you get up in the morning, a cold front comes thru, and it can drop to the 40's by the time you get ready to go home from work. I would love to move back into that area, despite the cold; the dryness means not much problems from molds, mildew, etc. as well as fewer roaches (and not much in the way of termites most of the time, either.) People for the most part are very nice. Economy tends to go in spurts, as much of the midwest depends on boom/bust production of stuff like natural gas, coal, ranching, etc. rather than industry of most types. Water restrictions are starting to take a bite out of the area, too.

Good luck on the new job, and hope it works out for you...