1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to pair a GK 800rb with a Bergantino NV 425

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThirteenLost, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ThirteenLost

ThirteenLost

May 6, 2011
    I'm in the market for new gear. I play post-punk/hardcore like Jawbox, Fugazi, ect. I was wondering if the 800rb would be too wimpy as far as wattage for the Berg cab, or if a solid-state head is not ideal for that cab. Any suggestions or info if anyone has seen/heard this pairing before would help.
    BTW this is my first post!!

2. ThirteenLost

ThirteenLost

May 6, 2011
    The 800rb is 300 watts @ 4 ohms and the Berg cab is 750 watts and is 4 ohms

3. Firstly, Welcome.
    Sure the more power for that cab the better, but I'm sure it'll sound great.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I think it'll sound great too.

What's your point?

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It'll be fine: The amp will sound fantastic, and it won't blow up the cab.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It'll sound great and loud as hell...

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have used my 800RB (for sale) with the NV 610 and it sounds great. I thought the NV215 needed a bit more oomph than what the 800had, but the 610 is a great match. Also consider Bag End cabs with the 800.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think it'll sound fine, but to really get the BEST out of a Berg NV, hit it with lots of watts.

9. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I had the NV425 for several years and have used a Crate BT-350 with it on many occasions, you'll have no problems with the GK amp it will get pretty loud, as the Berg is a pretty efficient cabinet ... I currently have settled on the NV610, as the cabinet I use for most gigs

10. ThirteenLost

ThirteenLost

May 6, 2011
    Thanks for the reply guys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to underpower the cab. I have more experience as a guitar player, and in that world IMO it's easier to pick out cabs for your amp head.
    I like the change to playing bass, no effects or distortion to hide behind (ok maybe a little distortion). And I like how mixing cabs with different speaker sizes, to your rig, can change your sound completely. In the punk scene guitar players mostly use 2x12 combos or 4x12 half stacks. Bass players can and will use any configuration they want.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    As a new bassist with a history as a guitarist, you'll soon find there are a number of "truisms" and points of "common knowledge" about sound reproduction that no longer apply as they once did - or even at all.

For example, the only sense in which "underpower(ing) the cab" has any meaning would be relative to the maximum capacity of the system. And since bassists generally don't rely that much on speaker distortion or power amp overloading in order to get their sound(s), this factor is pretty moot.

Likewise, it's becoming more widely known that mixing cabs of different driver sizes is a sonic crapshoot - with unforeseen issues such as phase cancellation and "hot spots" in the frequency range often resulting. For this reason, more players are becoming converted to the idea of using matched/identical drivers in their rigs, in order to provide a more consistent overall frequency response.

One issue you haven't mentioned is horizontal vs. vertical speaker configuration. Bassists (at least the better-informed ones here on TalkBass) are beginning to realize the superior off-axis dispersion benefits of using rigs with drivers aligned in a vertical, virtual line array - vis-a-vis the standard 2x12 horizontal guitar cab or 4x12 square guitar cab.

All of these departures from standard guitar operating procedure are in some way related to the unique physics of low-frequency sound, and the specialized musical functions and requirements of the bass in general.

You have much to learn, Grasshopper... :smug: :ninja:

MM