Looking to pick up a 4x10 that won't break the bank

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonahlane, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    What is the best 4x10 for the price? Ive currently got a mark bass 2x10 I'm running my markbass blackline 250 through. What're your recommendations?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A good balance between price, sound, volume, and weight would be a Hartke HyDrive 4x10.

BEADG63, Eckie and navijaz like this.
  3. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Hartke 410XL or a 4.5XL. New under 400 or less- used, you can find for unbelievably low prices.

They sound great too.

BEADG63 and Al Kraft like this.
  4. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Also SWR.

5. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Best 410 for the price depends on the price. What are you looking to spend? Hartke is a good value in general. As are older peaveys. You might be willing to spend more though.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    Looking to spend $300-600, just looking for the general opinion of the best cabinet in that price range.

7. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If you like your markbass, the hydrive as mentioned above might suit. It sounds to me in the same tone family as markbass stuff. Not my bag, but quality. Perhaps try the fender rumble too. Ive only tried one briefly and i liked the 1x15 better but it still seems like a good value. Going used will get you more. If i was personally set on a 4x10, id try to be patient and wait for a mesa or sealed ampeg to come up at a good deal. Just my preference tho for more of a vintage vibe.

pudgychef likes this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    A lightly used GK Neo 410 might be in the upper end of your price range. If new is preferred, you might be able to get a deal on one around teh holidays. The Neo 212 will get you close volume wise for most situations with a more balanced tone for right around $600 new if cab configuration is negotiable.

9. Trying out my HyDrive 4x10 this weekend. I'll let you know if it's any good. Friday playing a small club and Saturday playing an outdoor gig where I'll be A/B testing the HyDrive vs Mesa 4x10 Powerhouse.

10. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I own a Mesa PH410 and will be interested to hear what you think about it relative to the Hartke HyDrive. My last Hartke was 4.5XL and it was true sledge hammer. I have not had a chance to hear the HyDrives, but if they carry on the Hartke tradition, I'm guessing it will sound great.

The Chuck likes this.
  11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    They sound fine. Won't break the bank, can't say the same about your back...

I was glad to sell mine.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  12. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Definitely not the lightest construction, but "sound quality per dollar spent" ratio was impressive. I always tell myself with the big heavy gear that I only have to lift it into and out of the truck 4 times per gig (about a minute total time) and get to enjoy the sound for hours. Of course that argument falls apart rapidly when you start adding in stairs or long distance carry requirements.

twinjet likes this.
  13. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Why not just get another MB 2x10? Then you can use 1 for smaller situations, 2 for bigger situations, and even leave 1 at home and keep 1 at the practice space, etc... And if you stack vertically you'll be able to hear them better than a 2x10 or 4x10 sitting on the floor.

Clouz, Ewo and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  14. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

Aug 5, 2013
    Illinois
    If you look on craigslist I'm sure you would be able to find a relatively cheap 4x10. I managed to pick up a SWR Workingman 4x10 for under $100.

spaz21387 and ubernator like this.
  15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona

shoot-r and timmo97 like this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

This would be my vote too. I would much rather have a stacked set of 2x10s than one 4x10 square.

If you really like the Markbass sound and want a 4x10 you can easily find one for $600. I sold my Markbass 4x10 for $500 CDN a few years back and it was a slow sell.

17. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX

shoot-r and 39-Bassist like this.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you are anywhere near Birmingham Alabama i've got a Hartke 410XL you could get at a really killer price

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm biased, but I'd vote what I have, GK CX410. $500 brand new, can handle 800 watts (comes in 4 and 8 ohms), and under $70 pounds. I love the sound I get and it pairs nicely with the 3 heads I've played through it.

CX 410 Specs

20. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Used SWR is the best value if you can deal with heavy. Try to get a pre fender goliath III if you can. Anything made in sylmar or sun valley, swr engineering or swr sound corporation. If it says corona or mexico it is a fender made one. Not bad, but there is a difference. Try to get one with original speakers rather than replacements. Properly reconed driver or 2 in the mix is not so bad either.

All day under $350, many go for cheaper. The Goliath II is also good, as are older eden d410t and d410xlt cabs. I got a Goliath II for about $100 recently. They are heavy, 90-98lbs depending on year.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021