1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to pull the trigger on buying a Yamaha BB414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kickin'Fruit, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Found a Yamaha BB414 on craigslist for about $250, if I can talk him down to $200 or less I'll take it.

Right now I've got a MIM Fender Jazz Bass. How do the two stack up? Would I be gaining anything by getting this bass as far as versatility in tone, playability, etc? Or would it be like having two cars with equal gas mileage and just being a waste of money having two?

I'm thinking the P/J setup might add some versatility to my playing, I have also heard a lot of good things. Plus I've been looking for another bass to start a collection and help me out when I get bored of the Fender tone, or for a quick swap to something with a drop D.

Thoughts? Thanks a lot.

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    The BB414 does give a nice P tone, which you can't get from your Jazz. But the J tone won't equal your Jazz.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Definitely nice basses. And as Bob said, the P-tone is awesome. Overall they're nice basses. The neck is just a bit to round for my taste though. I prefer flatter necks.

4. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Tough one. They are both classic designs, and not that far apart. I'd do it though, I loved the BB415 I tried. You may even like it better than your Fender :)

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, very nice P sound from the BB414. The P sound alone is worth adding to your bass collection. You could put flats on one and rounds on the other for even more variety.

It is every bit as well made as your MIM Fender; I would argue the BB414s are more consistently and precisely made.