Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to Purchase John Patitucci Signature Model..prices?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Libersolis, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know of any retailers and what I can expect for a price? 3k is what I am thinking but if anyone knows anything cheaper let me know...

2. That is remarkably expensive and I'd imagine you could have your very own custom made by a reknowned luthier for around the same scratch...

3. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Can you change the color? LOL I want either red of black. Damn I love that bass.. Still not sure if I should get a new Upright or a new electric..

4. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    If you don't mind buying used, there is one on ebay for about a grand less than that. But Marcusalan is right.....you are better off with a custom job.

5. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Why exactly am I better off with a custom job? Where would you guys recommend going for that.. I have about 3 k to spend on a bass.. I love John's tone and have been wanting to explore the 6 string and keep my URB for my four string.

6. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I have pretty much no experience on a 6-string. But I say before you go and drop a few grand on one, borrow, rent, or purchase a cheapo model to see if a 6-string bass is your thing.

7. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have owned a 6 string in the past and am quite familiar with it.. I had an Ibanez sound gear some years ago. Needless to say it wasn't the best, but it allowed me to get comfortable with it

8. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
  9. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Ahhh...in that case, go for it. But again, at least try out the TRBJP before purchasing it. I'm sure there are a few players of that model around here that will chime in sooner or later to give you more detailed info on it.

10. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    A guitar center just opened up here in Charleston, SC.. I believe they deal in Yamaha. Im going to check with them.. would be nice to try one out first :)

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Bass Central also has a used Patitucci listed in their "used basses" section..........

12. Hey, if you want to get a John Patitucci sig, then get one. He does have great tone and is an awesome upright player. Yamaha makes some great basses and that one is very sweet. It is a high end custom bass.

13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Arthur beat me to it, but honestly if I had 3K and wanted a GREAT six string I would get an Fbass, Roscoe, or MTD. When you go custom with a luthier expect to wait a while, but if you buy one through a dealer like basscentral.com thelowend.net or bassnw.com you can get it quick and MUCH cheaper than direct from the luthier.

check out fbass.com and roscoeguitars.com

and drool at thier selections....!!!

I am sure John Pat... would sound great on any 6, but if you want to spend 2-3K this is the way to go IMO.

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I was at Bass Central this week, and despite not updating their website often I do believe it's still there.

Definitely check out F Bass, though. I left Florida on Sunday with a BN5. (Again, pics soon to follow! :hyper: )

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

I'd agree, if you have 3K to spend there's quite a few fantastic basses available. I'm personally fond of Roscoe basses. A Modulus Q-6 or one of Carey Nordstrand's beautiful creations, or a used MTD would also be on my list. Don't forget Ken Smith for that matter. :)