1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to put some new pickups in

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm a total newb to this type of stuff, so please forgive me if I sound dumb. I currently have a Squier VM 70s Jazz which I love. Everything is great except that the pickups are sub-par. I cannot really get a good low end out of them or put out good highs. I'm looking to put some pickups that can cover both of this.

I was looking into putting some vintage Fenders in, but the thought crossed my mind of installing a preamp. One thing I'm not sure of is how much it would cost and where I could order the parts to where I live. Any suggestions and help is appreciated, thanks.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Look into the Audere preamp for one of those things. I have a Geddy Jazz and I am contemplating dropping one in to give me some more options and boost. They are $150 and, from what I have read, easy to install (no soldering or special equipment needed)

3. srwelty

srwelty

Jun 19, 2007
    Buffalo, NY
    You might want to check out an audere i have the VMJ fretted and tossed in one, its a tight fit bt an easy install, especially for somebody who hasnt done any work on a bass at all. It definately will boost the sound but it really wont change the tone of the pickups that much, at least with my experience, so basically, if you like the tone and just want to the boost it and add a little more low or high end, the audere can do that, to change the tone completely you might want to look elsewhere.