1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to replace my 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drifta, May 2, 2010.

1. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Hey Currently i have a Genz Benz 6.0 shuttle, aguilar GS112, and a crappy GK backline 410.. The 410 has no lows and is honky/speakers are noisey.. Just really starting to get some projects going and don't want to drag the heavy crappy 410 out since to be honest the aggy 112 by itsself sounds better. I feel i really need to have a solid deep bass sound that is CLEAR though, too many guys i see out there at gigs are mudding it up big time..

I kind of wanted to add a 112 to it to match it, but wonder if a 1x15 stacked under it would sound good. gonna be gigging out in a reggae band. lakland 5 string so I need to express the B string a bit, the GS112 seems to lack that on its own. I don't need a tweeter and i like to scoop the mids and cut the highs a bit(not as much as most people think reggae calls for tho).

my price range is 300-500. But also open to finding some good used deals on some old reliable cabs. been looking at used ampegs.

any suggestions?

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I prefer the Ampeg 410HLF. Online stores sell them used.

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Get another Aguilar 12, the pair is just great.

You could look for some used Mesa cabs or the Genz-Benz NEO212.

You could also try Avatar cabs, very good cabs for a low budget.

4. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Used Mesa or Bag End cabs will make you a very happy camper.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    shame you cant splurge on a berg ae410. just an awesome awesome cab w/ the shuttle amp. but have been hearing good things about the GB line of cabs as well, which favor a more hifi sound. they're not too popular, so when one shows up used, i'd be willing for a touch more scratch you could nab one.

but another gs112 seems ripe in your future. even a pair isnt the loudest thing out there, and not nearly as clear as my ae410 fav, but it'll still give you that clarity and focus in the bottom end leagues above your old GK cab.

6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I agree on the Ampeg 410HLF, I had one and it was my favorite cab ever, but it was just too heavy for me. If it was lighter, I would still use that cab, I preferred the sound of it over my Epifani UL-410.

7. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Used Mesa PH212 will get you there for sure.

8. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I would do another gs112 if I were you. About the comment of a 410hlf, I have one and actually use it with a shuttle 6.0 but it weighs a ton and I use a dolly to move it. It usually stays at church and I gig with a lighter cab unless I need some massive volume.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 another identical 112 will give you MORE than the sum of it's parts, including more lowend.

10. +1 for Avatar if your looking for another 410

I have a 410NEO and it sounds great. Plenty of low end if thats what your after, adjustable tweeter, speakon and 1/4" jacks. Read some reviews on these, they are great and only weigh about 45 pounds I think. I'm a 160 pound 18 year old and I can easily carry my 410 up and down stairs, through doors, everything, I love it.

If your looking for just any other cab I would buy another 112, or even a 115.

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Man I use 2 SWR Goliath 410's and man do they have a Clear Low end that is not muddy. When I play my b string It just Shakes the very ground on which i stand...It is Deep and Clear...and Punch's Hard then a Freight train!! ...I had a 115 with my 410 and hated it....did not have any lows at all compared to running 810's!!!...So my Vote is For a Better 410!!...and as for me i go for the SWR Goliath!!! Best Of Luck Mate Cheers ~Elliot

12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Acme 4x10. Power hungry but sings and relatively light weight.

13. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    I see alot of those bag end 115's around on here.. how do they sound and what do they typicallly worth used?

I'm not apposed to another big cab, the other gs112 was brought up cause it seems like a cool matching stack but not sure if it could hold up to my 112 + decent 410 or a nice 115. Big heavy cabs don't really scare me as long as i can jigsaw puzzle it into my civic. I just cant stand to lug this 410 i have now for xtra volume(while completely changing my sound in a badway).

another option i think i see is going for a nice 4 ohm cab, and just keep the 112 at home for travel/practice and in my room (keep the big cab in the jamout room).

also I perfer no tweeter. I don't think it would get turned on. my maple neck'd 55-01 and nicklerounds give me enough highend.

thanks for the replies, i appreciate it.

14. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    anymore suggestions? thanks.

15. Bag End 15s, for the money, typically $275 to $400 used, highly underrated, best bang for buck in my opinion, tone is very flat, so you get what you put in, high SPL (very sensitive, sounds louder than comparable while maintaining great tone), you'll love it. Sell the crap, buy quality!