Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking to replace my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris A, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Hey all,

I've had my Tmax forever and I'm thinking it's time for something new. I need something that's 2 rack spaces, can go down to 2 ohms, and is less than 20lbs.

Any recommendations?

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

2. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    EBS Fafner or TD 650. Very good amps both, the Fafner is sounding a bit thicker/tube like, while the TD 650 is more modern sounding.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    eden 550 woudl be my 1st thought. it's tough to find a 2 space 20# solution for needing to go 2 ohms.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, I know it's a tall order to fill. It makes it even harder when there is no selection around these parts at all. The weight is the least of my criteria, but I need the 2 ohms thing, because I have 2 cabs that I use for bigger gigs, one is 4 ohms and the other is 8.

The one Eden dealer here has 1 cab in stock and no heads. I went to GC this afternoon and my choices were SWR or Ampeg, neither of which went to 2 ohms. The SWR had a better tone but I use the DI alot and I've heard that they don't do well with phantom powered boards. Looks like I might have to take a trip into Boston to visit GC on Comm Ave.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My new Kustom Groove Bass 1200 does 1200 watts @ ohms. Only thing that hurts it is it's weight @ 31 lbs. Other than that, it meets all of your requirements...

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Sorry that I don't have anything helpful to add, but this comment cought my attention. What's the story there? I'd never considered that that might be an issue...

If this is too "hijacky", I'd love to hear about it though a PM if you have a minute. Just looking to learn.

Thanks.

7. Can't comment on the others but the WT550 rox. :hyper:

8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    No, not to "hijacky", I've just heard on another board that I'm on that this happens. If the board is sending phantom power to the DI in a SWR amp it can't handle it and it fries the DI. I know this doesn't happen with my current amps, and I don't trust soundmen to not do this so I think I'm going to stay away from SWR if I can.

Anybody know of good music stores on the seacoast of NH?
    I've exhausted the possibilities in Manchester and Nashua.

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    That's weird. They must not use a transformer in the DI. Pretty cheesy. Maybe I'll try it on a buddy's Workingman 15. :)

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Dunno, I don't want to buy something to try it out. So it's looking like Eden is something I want to try, too bad this is northern New England and there is no selection of anything!!!
    (but I'm not bitter)

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
  12. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Ok, so I bought the Eden WT550. It seems really noisy. I get a 60 cycle type hum when I played it at church last night and this morning. I never got the hum with the Tmax there. I tried putting a ground lift on the line and I double checked the cables from my effects unit to the amp. Any ideas? Also, while I'm at it, can anyone tell me how to get a nice overdriven tone with the Eden?

thanks,