Looking to replicate this sludgy insanity.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by omnimutant, Nov 19, 2015.

1. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    Any thoughts on what pedals are used to create this super raw deep crunchiness?

Thanks.

Crystalman85 and ole Jason like this.
  2. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    down tuning the bass is the key more than the pedal I think.

jeffgnr90 and omnimutant like this.
  3. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    I do already down tune quite low and I agree that helps, but there is a lot more to it then that. I've been trying to get close to something like this for a while.

4. This is one of the best "How'd they get this sound" clips I've heard. That tone is gnarly! I haven't posted anything in effects in nearly a year, and that tone clip snapped me right back into it.

I tune to E0 (20.5 Hz) and I've noticed that having a string that has the proper tension is key to getting a proper translation for not only your pickups, but your effects and amp as well. The only company I know that make a string big enough is Kalium Strings. I use a .222, but they make them as big as .266, big enough for A-1 (13 Hz!)

But back on the tone, it's so hard to tell I think with sounds like you posted because they are obviously stacking some dist/OD/fuzz to get that. Pedal order obviously matters, but I'll do my best to give my two cents.

First off, stacking just about any distortion or fuzz with a Darkglass B7k or B3k helps give that Titan-rolling-car sized-boulders-in a-volcano sound. I've really enjoyed putting my Earthbound Audio Beast (muff circuit) and Iron Pig (Rat circuit) in front of the my B7k, with the settings being very mild on the B7k, almost barely overdriven and a bit of treble added in with nothing else on. Then spiking some eccentric settings on either (or your muff or rat variant of choice) in front of it gave me some tones equivalent to a centaur gargling shards of glass and agony.

Another wild setting that works for me is using another OD AFTER the B7k. For this, I've had success with Brinstone Audio's XD-2 , Okko's Basstard, and VFE's Pale Horse, but they responded differently with the amount of gain the B7k was putting out. The XD-2 really sounds more like an overdrive to me personally, rather than a distortion. Because of that though, it handles just about anything in front of it very well, but is also incredibly responsive which tells me that just about everyone that's ever used one has gotten something different out of it than somebody else. Your bass, pickups, active/passive, boosts, EQs, and compressors all seem to play a role with the XD-2 than most pedals I've tried, it doesn't have an imposing "Brimstone tone" like some pedals like Darkglass. Also, the Pale Horse is probably the best tube screamer circuit I have ever tried. It gives an insane amount of sizzle on both bass and guitar, and is very adjustable.

Again, stack order and any other variables in your chain that are seemingly insignificant all play a role. But I want you to get that tone, we need more bass tones like that in the world. Stack 7 distortion pedals if you have to, I can only give you help with the pedals I've tried in obtaining my own doom tone.

omnimutant likes this.
  5. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    This sound reminds me of the time I used a whammy to down tune one octave lower on the bass and into a hoof fuzz as distorsion. It worked quite well for this type of doom/sludge sound.
    A muff type fuzz or a distortion designed for bass should do the trick but I can't tell which one for sure.

omnimutant likes this.
  6. Awesome tone and awesome song

omnimutant likes this.
  7. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    Wow lots of Good Information, thank you! I keep hearing great things about Darkglass as well.

8. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    I was recently turned onto these guys, they are amazing. And only a two piece.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Killer sound...I would guess a metal distortion through a tube amp just might do the trick. try the egnator black metal distortion or perhaps the amp tweaker fat metal.

Egnator black metal

Amp tweaker fat metal

omnimutant likes this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Don't love the music, but ya gotta love that sound :). Dang!!!!!

omnimutant likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021