1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to revamp my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HabSmasher, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HabSmasher

HabSmasher

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm new to this forum.
    You guys seem to know what you're talking about, unlike some other sites and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I play in a grind band and my current setup isn't cutting it anymore.
    I've been playing through an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and a Tech 21 driver pedal.
    Your basic Ampeg 8x10 and a Warwick 5 string.
    I get noisy but don't keep the punch.
    The tone I'm trying to get is more like this one:
    http://youtu.be/u1GqhC8ok-c

HOW DO I GET THERE?!?

We play at high volume and tour consistently.

I may switch my cab to a 2x15 or maybe a 4x10 + 1x15 but I'm driving myself insane with all the options running in my head.

Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you have FOH support often, or does your rig need to carry the whole venue?

I'd be looking at replacing the SVT-3 Pro with something else. If you felt like lugging it around and could afford one, I'd go for an Ampeg SVT-CL or other all tube Ampeg.
    The 8X10 will be fine. Do not go with the 410 + 115 option.

The rig may not be the whole issue though.

Specifically, what Warwick are you running?
    What kind of strings are on it?
    How old are they?
    What is your EQ like?
    Assuming the Tech 21 pedal is the Bass Driver, what do you use it for?

3. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    replace the SVT 3 pro with an SVT 7 Pro. Done.

4. First thing I would do is take your drive pedal out of your signal chain for a bit. Next is get some fresh strings on your bass (something that you will have to maintain). Next, set all the EQ you have to flat. Dont let your mids and highs go above noon, and work on boosting your mids to get the presence you want, also you should push the gain of your amp to open up some of its tone. I usually run my ampeg about 2-3 oclock. Once you start to get the character you want out of your amp, add your pedal back in. Mind the EQ and dont let it scoop your mids.

The gear you have will do what you want, no need to change anything.

5. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If you want to boost mids on a bass driver you need to turn the bass and treble down unless you have a Paradriver

6. HabSmasher

HabSmasher

Feb 25, 2013
    bassgod, it depends on the venue (obviously) so Im looking to be able to run hard with and without FOH help.

I'm playing a German Warwick Corvette Rockbass with DR low riders.
    I change the strings as often as every 3 weeks.
    I run the Tech 21 Paradriver through the effects loop with the settings pretty much described by CL400.

I used to have a GK 1001rb which I loved but it shut down on me at an embarrassing moment so... it's personal haha.

I'm going to fiddle with what CL400 suggested this weekend, see where that leads me.

Also going to look at a Peavy Firebass 700 which I've used in the past as well. Maybe I will be able to build faster from there.

Thanks for the help, please keep it coming.

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you running the output at line or instrument level?

I would suggest taking it out of the loop and putting it out front, set to instrument level.

8. HabSmasher

HabSmasher

Feb 25, 2013
    To be honest.... I don't know.
    I'll try bringing it out.