Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to shop new record...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by in2dagrave, Feb 12, 2006.

1. I have been in the same band for eight years.Four recordings later and still no decent record deal.I beleive this new album hitting the streets has what it takes to excel.In the past we have sent out these recordings to labels only to hear nearly nothing in return.I think mabey we have gone about all of this the wrong way.

My question is:

How do i properly shop an album?

Does anyone know the proper way to send kits to labels?

Any help please!

2. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well my band sorta tried this whole shopping thing, and we sorta decided it was useless for us since we're a little to young (sophmores in highschool). But, what we discovered via our producer. Is that basically you have to get a good music attorney first. To get anywhere in music, you have to know the right people, who know the right people. If you don't have a producer or manager who know some people in the business- I'd reconmend you find some contacts first, who have contacts in LA or in other parts of the US. There are a good amount of firms that will shop your record. But they will charge you a good amount. As Music Attorney has stated, the key is to find some one who is passionate about your music. If you just find some1 who's just try'n to use you for money, they're just going to try to find you a crappy deal, call it quits, and never talk to you again- not a good relationship imo. However, finding some1 who is truely passionate, and believes in you is good. This actually happened to a friends band of mine- they got screwed into a record / recording deal, and now the band is all but in ruins because of the recording deal.

And as i was told by our producer- a record label recieves 75-150 (on average) press kits a day. They listen to maybe 25 of them (these are just kids like me and you sending them there bands stuff cuz they think they have it). We're not includeing guys that are shopping here. The one advantage of having a shopper, is that labels are more likely to listen to it. Because they know of these guys won't shop absoloute crap, so alot of the crap gets weeded out. Until then- make sure the covers look very professional- they say don't judge a book by its cover, but alot of people probably do.

Take this for what you will- I'm only a sophmore in HS and I'm just figuring out the system as you are.
    May I ask what band you play with? I play with Eclyptic a band out of Hudson, OH- you're from Y-town, not to far- I think a band called Another Found Self is from there if I'm not mistaken

Anyway- good luck.

3. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    shopping is such a messy ordeal unless you live in LA and then its easier to land a deal by probablity but just as hard to make it anywhere!

Network your way to a manager, booking agent of someone in radio that knows A&R people personally and wont be nailed for Payola..

Read the thread that I asked music atty He has some good insight! I have been in this racket for about 8 years and have done professional studio stuff and toured in a regional band.
    I have also turned down more offers to play with signed bands than 99% of people will ever see- I just want to do it with MY music.
    You need to find someone who knows record label people and is passionate about your music- Its basically a networking game to get in and when you are in its a business and a very cut throat business at that!
    Thats about it it takes 24/7 dedication and then you never know.

Example We used to play (when I was touring midwest regional) with a band in toledo LOLLIPOP LUST KILL. Excellent band!!!!
    they were together for 10 years drew 1000/people a show and got signed to artemis- big big mistake!! they didnt get the right attn by the label- an album that came out crappy compared to the live sound and squandered most of thier advance $$ on vacations and watches.
    Toured with big bands but the album didnt sell and they had to convince the label to drop them.
    Well they went nowhere and artemis folded.
    It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad because they were truly a great band and by the way marilyn manson ripped them off!!
    they toured breily w/manson and had a killewr cover of "personal Jesus" as soon as they were done Manson recorded it and it sold millions!

Tough Biz like I said