1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to start playing bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Defluo Deus, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Defluo Deus

Defluo Deus

Mar 27, 2006
    Hey everyone, I've been playing guitar for a while now and now I'm looking to start playing bass. I wanted some of your opinions as to what bass i should start playing. I want something that sounds real good, but yet not too advanced nor too crappy. I was looking at a pricerange somewhere around 500 dollars or below, I will pay more to get a decent/good sounding bass if I have to but like i said i don't want an advanced bass. Also what kind of bass should I get (four, five, ect. -stringed bass). Lastly I want something that looks good to the eye, none of those weird looking basses I've seen on the internet with like flower style or heart style. I'm not into that but that's just me. ;)

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Start wiht a 4 will be the main suggestion, and I suggest lookin at SX basses - www.rondomusic.net

Theres a megathread on them you should check out...I had a great experience with mine.

Also, I like Ibanez's...

3. at around 500$ you can get an used japanese fender off ebay . the geddy lee is very good or any jazz bass

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You can get about a zillion different good basses for $500, especially if you will buy used.

You should probably go to a music store and play as many different basses as you can.

I always suggest an Ibanez to beginning bass players. They have great value and the necks are thin, fast and easy to play, especially if you're not already used to a giant bass neck. (Fender P basses, which are actually named Precision basses, are one example of basses that have big necks.)

5. Go to a music store, play every bass.

And which ever one feels and sounds best to you for 500 or under get it.

6. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Being a guitar player who took up bass a few years ago, the skinny neck thing is a good suggestion. Quality wise an MTD kingston4 would be a great choice.

7. jazz-e-j

jazz-e-j

Mar 24, 2006
    los angeles, ca
    i started with a fender jazz deluxe. you cant beat the jazz
    based on what you said about price range and not too radical of a look! plus it plays and sounds good. you can dam near get a new on on musiciansfriend.com for under 500.

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I would go with a Fender Jazz Bass - either Made in America or the Geddy Lee (which I hear a lot of good things about, but have not personally ever played except in GC). I would buy used if possible - if you don't stick with it or choose to upgrade down the road, you can resell it for what you paid for it (IME).

9. This is the best piece of advice given so far I'd say. I've gotten advice on countless basses (as many of us have), and when I actually played them I was dissapointed. I was happiest with my purchases when I went into a music store and played on as many basses as I could. It can take a while, but this is an important purchase and you should research it thoroughally with hands on experience. Nobody can tell you what you will find most comfortable or most sonically pleasing.
    Go to a store, play on as many as you can, even ones slightly out of your price range, and then hunt the used market, and either save a great deal of money, or get something better than you thought you could. Most of my gear was bought used at half the original music store price. Your limit is around 500, but if you find a good enough deal, you can score a 1000-1200 dollar bass for around 500 if you search hard enough.
    Basically, start playing as many basses as you can to get an idea of what you're going for. Any other advice given here is just what other people prefer, which may be very different from what you like.

10. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    Actually, there's another post near this one that deals with the same issues. Listen to the music you like, then buy a bass that will give you this sound (played through an amp that will also give you this sound). First and foremost, get a bass that feels comfortable to play---if you don't like the way it plays, you won't play it very often and you won't get very good if you don't play it a helluva lot. A lot of people focus on looks---I could not care less. If I found a purple and orange bass that looked like a shovel, but felt good and had a great sound, it would be the next one I bought. Don't get hung up on brand---Do go to as many music stores and play as many basses as you can---were all different and what works for one of us doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.

11. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Have a look at the Cort range of basses, very decent for the price, you can also try Ibanez.

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Buddies of mine actually bought an SX bass and they have been playing for quite a while and own some upper to high priced basses and are really good at what they do... I guess it is great for beginners or tech heads even because you throw in after market parts like a new bridge (Leo Quan Badass bridge), pickups and other stuff and you have an even better bass... It can stay with you for a long time.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My Advice would be, if you like traditional styled basses as you said, is to go try a Squier P and J bass. If you find you like either of those, then go to rondomusic.com and buy an SX version of the one you liked best. With $500 to play with you could buy 4 or 5 SX's and have a superior instrument to the Squire. If the "P" or "J" dont' do it for ya, then try everything you can get your hands on. As far as I"m concerned, in my world, there are only 3 kinds of basses...."P"s .... "J"s... and everything else. :bag: :eek: