Looking to trade a Fender BXR 100 for a Peavey 115 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rutgers Bassist, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Hi, I have a deal set up that I am going to trade a Fender BXR 100 for a Peavey 115 Combo. Is this a good trade for me. Tell me what you think. Thanx
  2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Yep. In my mind it's a good trade if you are willing to give a little in the way of tone. Although what you will lack in tone, you will gain by blowing people off the stage cause the Combo 115 if loud.

In my experience the newer Peavey gear is pretty transparant, you'll hear your bass, not the amp.

Advantages of Peavey
    • cheap
    • theres no way in heel you'll break it
    • loud

Disadvantages of Peavey

• heavy
    • sensitive pre amps (good or bad, your oppinion)
  3. Though I've never played the BXR100, I'm inclined to say you're getting a great deal - the Combo 115 is loud and can drive an extension cab if needed. Plus if it is one of the newer models, it'll have great tone. The newer Peavey stuff has great tone. I actually looked into one of the Combo 115s when I ended up buying my TNT115 - the Combo 115 was too big to fit in my car so that might be something to think about!
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The newer stuff IMHO sounds great, depending on what kind of sound you want from it. For the old school tone, which I prefer, it sounds excellent. If I was into a more hi-fi kind of sound, I'd probably go with something different, but thats just me.

Warning-it's a real heavy rig!! I was gonna sell mine a couple of times because of that(and only because of that!) But now that the kids are a little older, and the wife sprung for a really nice hand truck from Sears, I don't have to worry about moving it anymore.

I hear that with a 2X10 extension cab, this thing really kicks butt! I wanna try that as soon as I can.

I think you'll be very happy with this amp, if it's in good shape and it works. Good luck!
  5. I haven't played through a Peavey in a while but I have through the Fender BXR. I found the BXR to be a very good amp, good tone, solid construction.

I'll have to check out a Peavey.......

If you are happy with the deal then go for it.