Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to Upgrade Bass - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaosMK, Sep 20, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Hey everyone,

When I was around 17-18 I bought my first real bass (after using something called a "Biscayne-4")- a metallic blue Ibanez SR885 with variable mid. This was a sweet bass until it got stolen!

My band was about to record so I went to GC to pick out a replacement. After trying just about every bass there, including some super expensive ones, I ended up getting a black version of the same bass- the neck was perfect for me (I have small hands, so this is important to me), sound was pretty decent for the progressive metal stuff I was playing. Size, weight, features were all cool.

Fast forward to now- I upgraded my equipment to pretty high end amp/cab setups and am starting sense some of the shortcomings of this particular bass. With the types of tones that I want these days, I might like a better sounding midrange. The SR885 has midrange, just not a nice sounding one. It's a great bass, but at this point out of step with the rest of my rig.

I am not a bass guitar make/model expert and dont really know a ton about what is out there. Anyone have ideas about what might make a good upgrade? Aside from the $20,000 Alembic that exists in my dreams :p I play a 5-string now and am considering moving up to a 6-string also.

2. Modulus have great midrange/top end and plenty of great tones. If you can find a used Flea for around a grand IMO they are the best bang for that buck, but if you want a new one expect to shell out around 3,000 clams which isn't so bang-for-the buckish but I will still claim mine is the best bass I've ever played, and I've played alot. The neck is perfect, fills out my hand well, and very fast. I can't recommend them enough. I bought it without playing this particular model, and I couldn't be happier.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well you didnt mention a budget, so Im not sure what range your looking at. However, if you want a midrangy bass, with a lot of verasatility, Id talk to Pete Skjold about making a bass for you. If you tell him what your after, he will select woods to compliment that. On top of that, his electronics are some of the most versatile and musical of any Ive played, allthough I dont pretend to be any kind of expert.

I know he has a certain wood combo that really brings out the midrange, its what he used on his personal fretless and is part of the reason why it sounds as good as it does. I also know he tends to prefer that combo for fretless, but not so much for fretted, however, he will be able to stear you in the right direction reguardless.

His website has some old examples of his work, but if you want some better, more recent examples, do a search here on Skjold.

His website is www.skjolddesign.com. Id recommend a Dingwall as well, but it wont be midrangy like your describing I dont think.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    My budget would top around the $1000-$1200 range, and I would save up more for the right bass. I am not in a huge rush.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, cool stuff. Keep it coming!

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

I think a basic 4-string from Pete will run you more than that, but not a lot more. Give him a shout, he will answer his own phone at the shop and is usually very giving of his time and knowledge. Couldnt hurt to talk :)

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    So Modulus basses are the best choice for a higher-end axe, with a neck similar to my Ibanez SR885?

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 for the Skjold suggestion. His Stage series would not be much out of your stated price range.

Tom.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you like the feel of your bass, give the high end ibanez basses a chance. If you like midrange, check out the skyline Laklands with the bartolinin pickups. (wider neck though)
    I like carvins, but try and find one to play before you buy one. Take a good look at spector basses as well. There is alot out there, so get around and try it all out before you take the plunge. the 1000-1200 market is extremely fertile. Oh yeah, check out used basses as well.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might check out a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5-string.

Great tone, great neck-feel, narrow string spacing (1.81" at the nut), medium neck thickness, terrific construction. A good option in your price range.