1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to upgrade my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Crimson Eye, Jan 2, 2007.

1. I've now been playing bass for about 6-7 months, currently playing the Squire MB-5. Now that I feel comfortable in my playing, and that I will continue to stick with the bass (having close friends that play guitar, another bassist, and drums to keep my interest high even though I'm not in a band). Because of this I feel that it is time to spoil myself, as I am graduating from highschool and hit my 18th birthday.

So, here is what I am looking for.
    -I am looking for a bass up to $1200-1300 (this is including shipping, and cases that it seems most high end places seem to make you buy)

-I want something that has a lot of tonal variety. I play mostly rock sounding stuff right now, though have a high interest in metal. Atomic Bitchwax, Sleep, The Sword, Electric Wizard, and Neurosis all having tones I enjoy and wouldn't mind being able to play. (I know Al Cisneros plays a rickenbacker, and the bassist from The Sword plays the Fender reissue 51 p-bass.)

edit: I'm also mostly looking for a 5 stringer.

I've looked at the Carvin LB 5 and the G&L 2500 as possible basses to get, what are peoples opinions of them?

One of the main problems I have is that before buying a bass like the LB 5 I want to be able to play one which I have yet to be able to do. What are ways to get your hands on a high end guitar to test before you buy? I know guitar center has a poor selection of higher end basses, and daddy's only carries a small selection.

Thanks for the help. Figured this would be the best place to post before I went out and spent a lot of money.

2. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I say the way to go is the used market. You may be able to grab a Modulus 5 in your price range which would lend itself well to rock and modern tone. There seems to be a jump between basses in the 700-800 and those in the 1500-2000 range so your pricepoint would be a little tricky if I was in your shoes.

Carvin is great but often cited for having weak electronics and being aesthetically boring.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'd get a Bongo or StingRay five.
    Graeme