1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to Upgrade my Lakland USA DJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Mar 15, 2008.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey guys,
    looking to upgrade my dj usa with some mods...

dont get me wrong i looove the tone, but would like to have some more tonal shaping options. i have read that adding a preamp to the dj buffs it up even more!! which i cant imagine :smug:

i've read people are using the j retro, sadowsky, and audre preamps.

i was also looking to possibly change the pu later on as well.

ive heard/ read good things about the nordstrand pu's (fat stack and j's) only problem with the fat stacks is i would cut the body...which i am against. heard the sadowsky's are also good. right now i use the aero pu's.

the body is adler with a rosewood board. im looking for alittle more versatility to my tone.

i think a sadowsky pre with nordstrand pu's whold be killing.. what are your giuys opinions.

evan

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i think the Aero's kill in that bass! look up the price of those pups alone, and for the pricepoint, they compete well with all the other pups you listed. and they sound amazing! why would you want to change them? it's not like they're just the standard pups fender or other companies throw in their basses. not those the pups those companies use aren't good, but the Aero's were hand selected for that bass. IMO

as for a pre... i'm thinking Audere.

3. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    i do like the pu's personally as well.

im only really looking for a pre right now...

i want my passive tone to stay the same... which sways me to sad.
    any reason yhou chose the audere??

thanks,
    evan

4. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    no one else??

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    All IMHO;

I have experience with J-Retro and Sadowsky pre but not Audere.

First of all, I've heard that maker of Aero pickups does not recommend using an onboard pre. I don't know why.

Sadowsky: Very transparent when flat (except a slight volume boost), and with VTC you can use it passive without comprimise anytime you want because full blend is possible even when passive. It's only 2-band, so if you're a mid-freak that might be a negative. Also you'll need to route your bass and move the input jack to the side.

J-Retro: It colors the sound a bit even when flat (and that's intentional, that's what the maker claims). It has the sweepable mid, so that's a plus. It has an active/passive switch but you can only use one of the pickups soloed or both when passive. Blending is not possible. It's a drop in replacement (although you'll have to drill holes on the plate for two switches), no routing is necessary - unless you choose J-Retro Deluxe, which I do not know much about.

My opinion is that; since Aeros are such great sounding pickups, I would go with Sadowsky, because it won't color the tone. Note that both brands have external pedal versions. Also I heard that Aguilar OBP-1 sounds very similar to Sadowsky and it's cheaper but it requiers two batteries.

6. Careful on the impedence of the pickups. Larry gave me a dissertation on pres ( I dont need one, I can get near anythign with pickup balance), and he thought the Audere " might be the most intersting". I used a Aggie with Nordstrands and it was nice, no color on teh passive voice or the flat active voice. Good preamp imho..

AEROs are the best pickups you mentioned! So unless you go with some coil tap humbuckers, I wouldnt change a thing.

7. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    thanks guys,

is there room in the cavity for the battery and such... or would it have to be routed.
    also, will the sadowsky pre work with the aero's...??

thanks,
    evan

8. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Audere and the Retro should fit without routing. This includes the battery. As noted above, the Sadowsky on board would require routing.

9. ecufunk

ecufunk

Nov 19, 2007
    man you have to put the j-retro that pre is great for the darryl jones audere is good but retro and jones kills....