Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to upgrade my sound card

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Mar 9, 2003.

1. I've got a Dell 4300 1.6 Pent 250 meg ram with an 80 gig. It came with a standard Sound Blaster card. I tried one of the new Creative Extigy USB cards last night and was real disappointed. I tweaked every setting you can and it still didn't sound any better than the stock card in the machine. Plus it added a bunch of ticks. I thought at first that the ticks were the fault of too many USB devices working so I shut them down. I tweaked the settings for DMA like the instructions said, NO HELP. Well it's going back to circuit city today for a refund. What should I look at to improve my sound?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stay away from Creative Labs.
    A great alternative is the Midiman/M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, around 200$

www.midiman.com

Hoontech have good and affordable cards too.

Make sure you can a card with ASIO 2.0 drivers.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I agree..M-audio is the way to go. I tried SB and made a $200 mistake. I corrected that with a 24/96. Give it a try...ohh also they make a USB one now too. So there you go.

4. Curcuit city happily took the SB unit back and refunded my money. Sometimes it pays to pay retail. I'm looking at the M-audio. One thing that makes me shy away from it is the fact that it still has unsigned drivers. You'ed think, given the fact XP has been the standard operating system for just about all PC's sold over the last 2 years, that these companies would get their act together and have their drivers signed. I went through "DRIVER HELL" when I tried to install the drivers for my Alesis 6.1 on my new Dell with XP. I ended up finding a Yamaha driver, just by chance, that would work. I'll probably end up getting the M-Audio USB but I'm not looking forward to the install.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    add me to the list that ditched soundblaster cards.

also bought a 2496 card!

creamy!

fred

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I think us SB ditchers should form a support group...I still own my SB audigy plat ex. We can all get togather and bash it.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sweet, I'm in.