1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to upgrade my SX

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shy Guy, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    So today my SX short scale jazz arrived, I was impressed for a hundred bucks but was overall underwhelmed by the pickups (I bought it expecting to upgrade the pups anyways). The pickups are sort of hollow sounding. is the only way to describe it, and the 60 cycle hum is worse than anything I've experienced. However, the bass is a nice short scale platform so I am looking for some quality humbucking Js (non stacked) that have a good overall tone; meaning not to focused on mids, highs, or lows, but rather having good tonal flexibility and high output. I have heard good things about Lace Sensors and DiMarzios. While I'm on a rant, would it be a good idea to replace the cheap pots and output, or do SX owners find them to be adequate?

2. My experience is that the PU's are pretty good. The stock strings are terrible and will suck the potential tone out for sure. As far as the hum, single coil PU's will need proper shielding.
    There is a lot of good advice on the SX (essex) thead.

-Todd

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Norstrand NJ4SV pickups.

Do a full shield and check all the wiring.