1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to upgrade to a better Fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FBGT, Jun 14, 2014.

1. FBGT

FBGT

Apr 14, 2013
    I love fretless bass, and am looking to buy a new one eventually. I have had a Squire Jazz for years, and it served me well, but I really want to move up into the big leagues so to speak, and pick up a nice fretless. I would probably only want a four stringer, and I like to have versatility in tone, getting that smooth jazzy sound, but still being able to have a treble-y punch when I want it. What would you guys recommend/what do you pay and how to you like it?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Zon. Find an old Zon Sonus 4 string fretless. These are GREAT fretless basses. I've seen them anywhere from $900 to $1500, depending on the wood, model, etc.

3. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Fender Am. Std. Fretless Jazz does me just fine.

aEDKhBA. uvxDVnp.

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have a Warmoth Jazz bass with an Audere pre-amp. You can cover quite a lot of different sounds with JB and Audere.

5. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I went from a 2012 Squier Jaco fretless to a Spector Legend fretless Legend03.

6. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    ACG

Their acrylic impregnated fingerboard is fantastic for fretless

7. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I recommend getting an older Peavey Foundation with the "Super Ferrite" pickups, and maybe pulling the frets out. You'll get the tone you want. One of these should cost less than $300.

8. Take a look at a Lakland 4402. :))

9. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pedulla Buzz.

armybass likes this.
  10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I personally think that no one does fretless better than Roscoe. You can pick up a used one for a very reasonable price compared to what you can get for the same money.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Lakland 4402 for huge tone variability or a skyline 4460 for great ole jazz sound....

Sound and quality are top notch! Not to mention excellent QC if needed....

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I played a Roscoe 5 fretless for years - I was never really happy with the sound when gigging (Cedar body - it sounded "dull" to me) but it recorded GREAT. I was just listening to an old session I did with it from about 10 years ago and it really was nice. So yeah, Roscoes are fine basses. But I'm sticking to my Zon - mostly because Roscoe 5's are all 35".