Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking to upgrade to a professional setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassyeti, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Bassyeti

Bassyeti

Mar 13, 2003
    Australia
    Hi I am new the forum, I have been playing bass for a number of years now and I am currently upgrading my gear to a more professional set-up.

Currently I have a Stingray 5 and a stingray 4 on the way, the next step is the amp/cab set-up I am after.

I play in a hardrock/metal band and we play loud, I have to compete with a marshal JSM2000 100 watt head into a vintage 30 cab and a very hard hitting drummer on a Tama star classic.

Currently I am looking for a very clean sound that cuts and punches to get through the other noise on stage, which is one of the reasons I have the stingrays.

Initially I was looking at a SWR 550x + goliath 3 set-up, but unfortunately it takes along time for SWR gear to get to Australia, and as the 550x is very new on the market I wont be able to get it in without trying it first. Therefore I now looking at Eden as well as SWR as options.

The Eden set-up I am looking at is a WT - 600 into the 410 - XLT.

Alternately the SWR set-up that I would compare it with would be the 750x with a goliath 3.

Has anyone had any experience with one or both of these rigs in a hardrock/metal situation? I hear that the Eden is the middle man between Ampeg and SWR is this true ?

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks.

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    bass must have upt to 4x the guitar(s) power, so you will need about 400 watts amp.

Did you consider pre amp / power amp setup ?

So the ultime rock sounds are

-AMPEG SVT-head Classic 400 watts of full tube! a monster !

-Ampeg Svt pro3 exellent sound 450watts

-any SWR (check power )

Here are other nice brand name: Aguilar, Eden, Marshall, EBS, Hartke

3. Bassyeti

Bassyeti

Mar 13, 2003
    Australia
    thanks for the reply, I dont want to go down the ampeg road as all the stuff in the power range I am looking for is tube, and I dont want to get a tube head, the only ampeg head I would considor would be the svt 4pro.

I have considored a preamp poweramp setup and I am not a fan I like the fact that you can dail in alot of different sounds but I am more the type of person that is if I want a SWR sound I will go and buy a SWR.

From what I understand from the eden point of view is that I can go with a hi fi SWR sound or a Ampeg gritty kind of sound, so I can still cut but have some growl and grit if I want.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Tube? The SVT3Pro has the same pre-amp as the SVT4Pro. It puts out 450 RMS at 4 ohms.

5. Bassyeti

Bassyeti

Mar 13, 2003
    Australia
    Yeah I understand that, but unless I got the svt series most of the other options are tube, and the svt series in australia is very expensive, the svt4 pro is 5500 AuD, which is a bit more than what I am looking at paying for my whole setup. Not to mention that I am not a big ampeg fan, the make great stuff but the sound I am looking for isant the popular fender into ampeg sound, I am looking for a hi fi sound that cuts and can be heard.

6. I've play a Stingray 5 through 1 Hartke 4.5XL with 250 watt head and it was plenty loud. It also had the clean cutting tone you are talking about. In your situation I'd use 2 x 4.5XLs with a QSC PLX 1602(bridged) and an Alembic F1X pre-amp. I'd be willing to bet that this would give you the tone and volume you are looking for. jmho

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are looking for a hi-fi sound, I wouldn't go for an Eden either. They are strong in the low-end and low mids, but are not clear like SWR on the top.

8. Bassyeti

Bassyeti

Mar 13, 2003
    Australia
    Yeah but as I have outlined in my opening post is that I may have to wait along time for the SWR setup, up to 18 months, I just cant wait that long, and that is also what I like about eden, they have a hi fi element but they can still create some super lows, For example if I were to dail in a sound with the eden rig it would be 75% a SWR hi fi sound, with about 25% of a ampeg gritty kind of sound, so I can still cut but have a bit of dirt in my sound.