1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to upgrade Warwick Pickups - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by El Slap, Jun 26, 2012.

1. El Slap

El Slap

Oct 8, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Greeting TBers!

I finally got a second bass to accompany my Corvette Stadard 4 stringer - a 5 string Streamer $$!! So I was thinking to upgrade the pickups on the Corvette since I'm going to use it exclusively for dropped-D metal and would like something with more output, definition, and punch.

A friend of mine suggested Delanos, possibly the FE/M2. Researching them (through TB, of course) I keep coming across bad reviews of the stock MECs in Warwicks. Should I replace the pickups in both basses? I'm really happy with the tone in the Streamer, but it could use some more definition in the low end.

This is all new territory to me, so any advice and suggestions are much appreciated. What would you stick in these basses?

Cheers,
    El

2. El Slap

El Slap

Oct 8, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Nada?

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    The Warwick $$s have some great electronics stock. Flexibility galore. You can't get a good sound out of them?

4. MEC pickups are just fine. Warwick wouldn't use them if they weren't.

You just stated your happy with the tone. Just leave it be... there will always be the "illusion" of something better out there.

You could put in another brand of pickups only to find they aren't giving you what you hoped for.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I put Delano's in my Streamer Jazzman, but got the biggest upgrade by just replacing the pre with the Audere. Had I not gotten such a smokin deal on the Delano's I would have been fine with the MEC pickups. The Delano's are smoother and clearer though.

6. El Slap

El Slap

Oct 8, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Good points on the $$. I'm digging the tone, so no need to change anything there. As far as the Corvette, thought, it's being used for metal, so I'd to increase the output and cut through the dropped D mix.

7. jmmadar

jmmadar

Apr 13, 2011
    The MEC's just aren't for everyone, have a very specific tone. I got a german made $$, couldn't stand the MEC stuff, couldn't get any tone I liked from it. Replaced with delano pickups and preamp and now I like every sound it makes, super flexible. Replaced the jazz pickups out of another warwick I have too. The difference between MEC and delano is night and day. The MECs aren't bad, lots of folks love em, just super dark, smooth, and muddy compared to delano. Delanos are way punchier, clearer, crystal highs, and have a kind of growly, ultra defined low end.

8. jmmadar

jmmadar

Apr 13, 2011
    I'd especially recommend delano for low tunings and metal. I found my MECs to be about worthless in C#.

9. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    I had a German Streamer LX 4 for a long while. Best thing I did was rip the MEC junk outta there. Some love them, horses for courses and all that. Actually, I think the best you could do straight away is change the preamp. The MEC ones have weird EQ points, particularly for treble.

I'd be going Delano's or maybe EMG's in your position.

Great basses.

10. MEC stuff is just awful especially considering how expensive it is. They are just lifeless sounding. I don't think there's any other brand of bass electronics I would so bluntly say that about. Everything is better. More than a few folks have suggested Delano - solid bet in my book.

11. I have a 2001 Corvette 5er and found that it sounded MUCH better passive rather than active. Some guys have simply replaced the preamp to find that it basically transformed their Warwick. My personal opinion is that the MEC preamp is the weakest link in Warwick basses. Well I ended up getting a great deal on some Bartolini split coil pickups that really took the bass to the next level, especially with the Bart NTBT preamp I installed with it. I don't find that the Barts sound too dark or anything. Although Barts are relatively smooth sounding, the bass still has an aggressive cut depending on how the preamp is set.