1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking towards that extra string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dusty89, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Dusty89

Dusty89

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm in a rock/blues band and have been thinking about moving from 4 to 5 strings. I have not seen other bassists, in my genre, play five strings, but I'm sure I must be missing well-known bassists. Names would be much appreciated. I feel that I just can't go as deep as I want to. Sometimes I hum a bass line in my head only to find out later that my fifth fret D is just not deep enough to make it come to life. Basically, I am wondering about the practical application of a 5 string bass in the midst of a southern-muddy-swamp type of sound.

Again names of bassists that fit this description would be great.

2. Roscoe Beck. great swamp blues work, also high-chops solo stuff. also, go with your instincts- that low D note you hear will sound amazing when growled deep into a tune. if you drop the B string's low notes into a set periodically, in the right moments, they'll surely enhance the vibe of the song.

3. Chris Chew from The North Mississippi Allstars uses a 5'er from time to time.

4. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    It was a bit odd for me, played 4 for 15 or so yrs. Got out of playing and started again a few yrs back, went with a 5er because of the cover band I was in and got tired of changing tuningss
    The strings were a little closer together, too a few days of hours of playing to get used to it, and had to "re-learn" some songs because I was used to playing them in drop D...took me awhile to get used to that....lol
    Now, I LOVE it..play it more than my 4

5. Johnny B. Gayden from Albert Collins' band ( And house bassist for Alligator records)

John Jordan ( Chris Duarte ) plays a 7 string Conklin

Nathan East on his Eric Clapton recordings

Jimmy Earl with Robben Ford

6. Dusty89

Dusty89

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm new to this forum, but see that there are plenty of cool cats. "5stringblues," the name is all I needed to see that this occurrence must not at all be that uncommon. I'll be researching all the names you've provided. I got some studying ahead of me. Thanks again.

7. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I rarely find myself playing 4's now unless it's for a very specific tone that only my P/J can give me. Even most 4 string neck's feel...off for me now. Get the low B, if you don't like it you can always string it high C!

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    What is your exact concern? Are you looking for a 5 with a specific sound, or just wondering about picking one up in general? If it's the latter, who cares what other people play - snag a used fiver and go to town, especially if you already know that you'd like the extra range and extension :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021