1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lookn' for best strings for Mids, sustain

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dubbroc, Sep 20, 2010.

1. dubbroc

dubbroc Guest

Aug 26, 2010
    California, San Jose
    Hello,
    looking for strings that will give me mids, sustain, decrease harsh highs/string noise. Maybe I need a certain gauge.

I was thinking of Flatwounds Nickel but I been reading that flatwounds sound thumpy (no sustain?) Any advice will be appreciated.

I play a Lakland 55-01 35" scale. Finger style.

Thank You.

2. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I find DR Sunbeams to be pretty sweet in the mids and lively up top, but not harsh.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep. Sunbeams are good for sure. Dunlops are very similar to Sunbeams, but cost $9 a set at www.stringsandbeyond.com (buy one get one free)

4. whatever strings come on the bass, now that's punk :p Personally I'd use regular Daddario Nickel wounds, prosteels are far too bright in my opinion, but nickles are just perfect between treble that can be brought out of them and fullness if you roll off the tone

5. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    Are those Dunlops round-core like the Sunbeams? I love Sunbeams on my Spector Euro and I was thinking of putting them on my NS-2A as well. Might give the Dunlops a try!

6. dubbroc

dubbroc Guest

Aug 26, 2010
    California, San Jose
    Will the gauge make a difference in the sound for mids?

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Dunlop Nickel Rounds for crazy sustain (too much for me actually). For flats with sustain I would go with Chromes.

8. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL

I haven't seen anything stating they are roundcore, which is usually a selling point, so I'm guess they're not.

9. dubbroc

dubbroc Guest

Aug 26, 2010
    California, San Jose
    lookin at all possible options. StrangerDanger those options look pretty good.

Dunlop Nickel Rounds for crazy sustain

flats with sustain I would go with Chromes.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlops are hex core. Similar sound to Sunbeams but a tad bit less floppy.

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    +1!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021