Looks how much a factor for you

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 26, 2003.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Everyone has their own personal taste when it comes to basses but how much is the outward apperence of a bass a factor in you buying. Discuss ! ;)
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks isn't the most important thing. I love a wide variety of basses from the simple P-Bass to the extreme boutique basses. I look for the feel and sound first, but it's definitely a plus to have a nice looking bass. But then again there are those vintage Fenders that have been to hell and back and have a sound and feel that you won't get from any other bass.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's the first in the chain, so in the end every bass you buy appealed to you at least in part because of the look, or else you probably wouldn't have noticed it in the first place.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That is a very good point
  5. It's pretty important to me. But not number 1 thing.
  6. So many basses would not be developed with high grade bookmatched style tops if looks didn't matter. Same with gold hardware, or fancy inlays we all want something that looks good. Very few of this factors generate any difference to the sound produced but the companies still offer them, and we still pay extra to have them.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    With so many options available now, so many fantastic builders and luthiers, why should someone settle for an ugly bass? There are so many other great basses that also look good.

Of course, almost every bass has people who like the looks and people who don't...;)
  8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    For me it depends on the price. If I am going to spend $100 on a used bass the look is the last thing I care about. If I am going to spend $2000 you bet that thing is going to be the coolest look-in bass.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I imagine that looks matter quite a bit more than any of us would be ready to admit.
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think looks, playability and tone are all equally important. My $.02.
  11. darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    Sound and feel first, then looks.
  12. I'm a 50+ blues player...you won't see me with a pointy BC Rich any time soon. Looks matter more than I like to pretend they do.
  13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i look at my basses the same way i look at my girls...(my girl)

looks atract but thats not what keeps you with it..its all abou playablity..and the way it feels and plays...how it speaks to you..how it performs and reacts.. you know what im talking about....

im all about the natural look...i care about feel and sound before the look..but of course that has some part

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This may offend or surprise some, but I would actually shy away from any bass made of buckeye burl because, IN MY OPINION, that is the most God-awful UGLY type of wood I have ever seen used for a bass.

Almost all of the ones I've seen either look like Rorshach tests or the after-effects of a drinking binge.

JUST my opinion - don't kill me, please!
  15. Some spalted maple just looks like a pile of vomit. But some of it looks awesome.
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Looks" can work in two different ways -

> 1. Solely on a cosmetic basis
    > 2. Your experience as a veteran bassist shows that the bass has very positive design/ergonomic attributes.

For instance, the Steinberger "boat oar" looked terrible to people who bought solely on looks when it came out.
    But to veteran bassists, it made perfect sense.
  17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    buying a bass is just like buying a car.

anyway i play a thumb, i think the shape in general isn't very pleasing (i'm not talking bout the wood), but imo my bass is like my child (not that i have kids yet) if they behave themselves and love you they will forever be in your heart, ulgy kid or not.
    as far as buying one-
    a 2004 vette has 120hpr (not really)
    a 2004 lincon has 500hpr (")
    your choice.

18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It's like anything, I'd rather have something nice,, than something that's all trashed out.

Make a similar comparison in cars,,, burnt out pinto .vs. a 911 turbo... Ummm, I'll take the Porsche...

Mansion on the golf course, w/ built in gym, pool, etc... .vs. the termite ridden crack house on the south end... Ummm, I'll take the mansion...

Why should I accept less, just because its an instrument?
  19. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Just goes to show, one man's trash is another man's treasure :) I love the buckeye look, though I don't like it when it's used with a light colored body. Looks are pretty important, cause even if a bass sounds great, you're never going to be terribly happy playing it if it's horridly ugly.

20. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What's not to love about Buckeye's? Must be from Michigan...