Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looks like band is broken up once again.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 27, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Well... after several monthes of having my band back together under a different name, it seems our singer/guitarist wants to call it quits. Apparently the rest of us weren't "into it" nor were we putting any effort. Bull. Complete utter bull. I know, and feel that I was trying my hardest, and that I wasn't alone. He was complaining that he was the only one pushing us and that he was the only one in charge. I mean, I know the rest of us didn't speak much, but I knew we were all trying to express ourselves through our music rather than knifing away at what the guy wrote verbally.

Our band seemed to be taking flight too and here he comes crashing the party. Great. Well, looks like me and other guitarist will be in bandless limbo once again. I'm working a deal with other friend guitarist who wants to do something different than what our respective bands have done. I don't feel sad that the bands over, just disappointed.

Anyone else have a band scenario like this? :meh:

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Worst. We've had 5 practices in 5 months and no one no the songs....

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Oh man, I feel your pain. I was in & out of 2 bands in the past 2 years for that exact same BS. I try to be open-minded, but I can't help but think that all guitarists are a******s. :meh:

The only difference between our situations is that I left both bands, while the guitarist stayed. I feel confident that I did the right thing both times. The guitarist in my last band just had this huge ego. My lines weren't quite "what he was looking for". I tried my best and gave it a lot more effort than he would realize. He, OTOH, though his little drop-d chord progressions were the ****, yet they were quite...uh...plain. All things considered, I know I'm a better bassist than he is a guitar player. I left the band to get better and search for musicians who had the same vision as me. I'm still looking, but hopeful. :) Sorry for the venting...I really haven't gotten a good chance to let it out.

I hope things work out for you. Remember, there are so many other opportunities out there; you just gotta find them.
    :bassist:

4. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Yeah, geing in a band can be a drag at times, but we always come back for more punishment, don't we? ;)

I don't know what it's like in your areas, but down here in Ft. Myers, FL there's a serious bassist shortage. I always used that to my advantage and tried to play with people who were better than me. If your work ethic is like mine, you don't want to be the guy dropping the ball in the band, so it forces you to work harder. I learned how to play walking bass lines by getting fed up with the losers I was playing with, and taking a gig with a blues band that had a show in 2 weeks. Talk about a crash course!! I busted my butt for 2 weeks straight teaching myself how to play walking bass so I wouldn't let the band down. The first couple of gigs were nerve wracking, but now I can walk all day long. Look at it as an opportunity to grow as a musician, and then you can do what you really want down the road.

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Looks like the hissy fit is over and the bands still going to stick around. I'm questioning the fact on whether or not I should stay as well. I can't believe how stupid and childish this is (this coming from a 17 year old), one minute the singer/guitarist is being stubborn as hell to anything I say, but then he talks with other guitarist and guitarist gives him a little piece of his (our) minds and the singer/guitarist is all ready to change his act. Its bull****, thats what it is. "Kiss and make up" almost (not literally, thank goodness)... hmph. Can I deal with a guy who just seems unstable and close minded? Heck, this past hour is enough to prove my voicings don't really mean much. Gah... no respect indeed. :mad:

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's 4 am out here on the east coast, so I'll keep this brief. I'm tired, and I hope this makes sense. :p

I've dealt with this before. Some people never change. Things may be good for a little while, but ultimately it's still the same situation. It's not easy to leave when things are looking up, but do you really want to deal with this crap in the long run? It's up to you. You have to assess if this is a small conflict that you can deal with, or if there will always be rocky times with the band. Follow your instincts.

Good luck, man.
    :bassist:

7. Your young mate, it's all part of the musical journey. It happens to most muso's at some stage of the game. Don't be discouraged, keep playing your bass and learn from the experience.

8. True! Playing in bands is like a journey in itself. And at some point in your life, you will be in a band and realize that all of these things youve gone through has made you a better musician and a much wiser person all the way around. Ive been where youre at, I would highly recommend that you keep your eye out for other opportunities to come your way, and then, when they do, if you still feel bitterness towards your current project, wish them all luck and move on.
    Much luck to you!