Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looks like I am going to try building a 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 7, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  2. Yowza, good snag there Tom!

You're gonna poop when you hear this but when Greg Curbow was here at the house at one of the GTG's, he brought a custom 6 string Jazz for us to paw. Simply an incredible instrument. Oh, and it was pretty light too - 6 lbs.!!

IF you want to build something that will sell almost immediately, you really should consider making a 6 string Music Man instrument. Not an MM bass, just an MM humbucker (or 2) with the 6 string neck. Seems everyone wants one but there aren't any out there.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I hope so. I am a little worried about it being 34" scale though. 6 lb. ?? How is that possible?..t

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Is this a pretty narrow neck for a 6? What bridge/pickup will work with it?....t

5. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL

very true.. only one i've seen is some generic brand at samash.. B was floppy and nearly sliced a finger off on the fret job :crying:

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    sounds good. Were do I get the pickup? ......t

7. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Well, Tom, it's an average-sized six-string neck (a nice one; I'm not the biggest fan of the dual-rod, support rod setup, though), so any six-string pup will work. Same with bridges; I'm actually looking into what bridge I'm going to use for my six-string.

But for a MusicMan-style pickup, try Carvin. They have it, though it wouldn't be my IDEAL pickup (if you could get an active Bart or EMG...)

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I am new to 6 strings. I know with 5's there are wide and narrow ones. Is there only 1 size of 6 string?......t

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    The neck arrived yesterday. It is huge! Like I wrote I have never done or played a 6 so it seems massive. It weighs 2 lb 13 oz. Without tuners :eek: It does have a few "dings" in the fingerboard. I was considering filling them in with CA glue? This is going to have to be a heavy bass tokeep it balanced I think. If anybody has some design ideas that will keep the balance and hold down the weight let me know. I hate neck dive.. :mad: ......t

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Three words: long upper horn. This shortens the neck with respect to the balance point (less neck overhanging the strap lug), and lengthens the effective body with respect to balance. Take a look at Matt Pulcinella's basses (mpguitars.com), the Level 5 and Level 6 models - they are often said to have great balance while being light. He brings the horn to the 11th fret or so. Note: lengthening the horn also has the effect of shifting where the bass lays on your body while standing- the neck feels shorter because there is less of a reach to the nut, which many people like. The bridge also moves to the (player's) right.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I was planning on that also looking for other ideas. This is a shot of the first bass I ever built. It has lots of mistakes :crying: but I still play it often. It balances very well with the long horn. Book matched malpe top and back semi-hollow.