Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looks like I'll be a drummist after XMas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My wife is trying to be sneaky, but I saw the FedEx guy at the house before I left for work. He brought a large box that said "Slingerland" on it. Looks like I'm getting the cocktail kit that I wanted for Christmas. Since I've spent many years critiquing drummers and telling em how to play, it's time for things to come around that go around.

I'm psyched to learn. Anybody have any tips, books or sites that they reccommend?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    drummist? hehehe

-Mike

3. :cool: Congrats, hope you have fun with your kit!!

Tips?

- Learn to groove like a mofo, that is the most valuable characteristic of a drummer.

- Learn good tempo recall. Valuable as well.

Let us know how you're doing as a drummist :D and post pics of the kit!!

:)

4. FedEx guy visiting your wife while you're at work eh? Lets hope it's a drum kit! ;) :D

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Drummer or percussionist, not drummist.

I have no clue what books or sites that would help...I just went the easy route and got a teacher right away (you should probably do that).

www.drumheads.org

Great place. The forum there is super helpful, although it is sometimes slow, there are some really great/helpful guys there.

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Drummist is just a joke. Since I can't open the box till christmas, here's a pic from MusicYo of the kit. Same color as the one I wanted, plus the kit I'm getting has the cymbals.

[​IMG]

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The drummist in our band speaks highly of this website......Drum Bum

-Mike

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Lessons. I've been a drummer for years before bass. With drums technique is very important, if it is poor or sloppy then your timming will be off then your sort of ruining the whole purpose of being a drummer. You can try on your own to learn,you may even be O.K. but being a bassist first you may try to play the drums like a bass which wont work. I started playing bass like drums in a wierd kind of way when I started learning bass before I had bass lessons. Don't be afriad to learn the basics for a couple months from a teacher, trust me it's the only way to go and it will help your bass playing too. You can flub a little on bass and get away with it, there's no hidding behind the skins. That's my 2 cents, but trust me when I tell you don't try this on your own, it don't matter how long you have been playing bass. The littlest thing done wrong will totally screw you up and once you learn it the wrong way it is so hard to do it right with drums, I found that out the hard way. Congrats your one step closer to being your own rythum section!!!!!:D

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Weird kit. SO you hit the floor tom with a kick pedal?

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The floor tom is actually a combination Floor Tom/Bass Drum. It's a cocktail kit. Don't have room in the house for a full set.

11. Cool, ain't it?!?!

My brother (www.choicefatal.com drummer) showed me one of these 'cocktail' kits for the first time recently, I think they are cool!! :cool:

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    It's quite a challenge. I have a whole new respect for drummers. I have the drummer from my band and a guy in the church's P&W band give me some lessons/tips.

So far, I am learning and practicing rudiments. I've already given up on trying to play traditional grip, due to issues of comfort. I'm working on a basic rock beat which I haven't mastered. I think I can play a simple 1 Drop Reggae beat. I don't think I'm ready to tackle anything with swing like a shuffle or anything syncopated like Funk. Just the basic basics for now.

If it weren't for the kick drum, things would be alot easier :D. From playing in bands for years, the frustration is that I can hear how it should be, but my limbs don't cooperate. But, it's only been three weeks. I'll take it slow. I have no aspirations to be the next Neil Peart. I just want to be able to play a beat with feel.

Anyone have any tips or exercises for limb independence?

13. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    get g.l. stone's book "stick control" - it's like the drummer bible...every quality drum shop should have a copy in their store...that should help you developing your sticking technique...

for beats/patterns etc.. there are many entry level books out there, alfred's beginner drumset method was a useful one for me

if you want to develop independence there's a video from an amazing drummer named marco minneman ( a technique monster!) called Extreme Independence. Just do a search for it online. Most stuff in there is relatively advanced though.

Oh, and be sure to get a practice pad and drill those rudiments! Even if you don't want to blaze all over the kit like Peart/Portnoy etc... you should still have some facility with your rudiments so you can play interesting fills that aren't just slow, lumbering whacks of the toms and cymbals

if you have any more questions just let me know

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah Jive, welcome to the wonderful world of drumming the perfect compliment to a bass. Play with a metronome your easy rock beat. Do quarter notes on the HH and bass drum and half notes on the snare. Do that for a while then change the hh to eight notes keeping the same pattern on the bass and snare. Then if you want to be fancy play your beat do a measure of roll keep it simple then back to the beat again. Make sure you use the metronome and play it slow makinmg sure you dont screw up the timing transitioning from roll to beat again. Pick a song that's really simple and download the tab (mxtabs) and it will help you with your beats. Get a couple of lessons to learn the basics just to get you going. good luck any other questions just ask and check this out
    drum-talk.com.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    also vicfirth.com for some ruddiment training

16. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Thanks RicPlaya and Wildside for your help!

I'll check out the resources you guys sent me, and follow your tips. If you don't mind, I might PM you guys once or post here once in a while for some drumming questions.
    :bassist:

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Anytime Jive!!!!

18. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Not only is that the coolest drum kit ive ever seen, but i know how you feel having your wife buy you gear, my girlfriend bought me an envelope filter for our 1st year anniversary, which ended up costing a hell of alot more than usual as no one in northern ireland had them, she had to send to england to get it, and for some reason postage cost alot, i havnt got it yet tho, gotta wait till the 25th.