1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looks like me and Pete H are back in business!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willsellout, Aug 20, 2007.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So I spoke with Pete Hanewinckel today and laid out plans for my next custom (I think). It's not finalized but this is what I'm thinking.
    34" Artist series with a glued-set neck
    Mahogony body
    figured Walnut top
    5 pc maple neck with Walnut stringers
    Either a Flamed Goncalo or Cocobolo fingerboard
    Pete's handwound custom PU's with pickup covers matching the FB
    Bart 3 band Pre with mid and "Inside out" switch
    The PU's will be positioned more towards the bridge and closer together so I can get an accentuated mid range.

He is going to position the strap buttons so that it brings the nut closer to me for ergonomics and he is also going to change the tummy cut a bit as well to accommodate me. I'm also requesting a thinner nut width to make it easier for my hands to get down on the lower register. My first custom from him didn't work out but I'm positive this one will. Especially since I know what I want from a 5 string and discussed just about every angle with Pete today in about a 2 hour conversation. It was nice to work with Pete again..he's so accommodating. What's nice is that I got the prices just before he updates them. What would have cost 3500.00 is going to cost under 3 grand.
    This bass, should it come to fruition (which I'm 98% positive it will, have to clear it with the wifey:D) will be epic.

Any suggestions or changes I should make or anything I'm missing? He's sending me photos of the possible tops tonight or tomorrow and then all I have to do is pick the body style.

Dan