1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looks like the MB Titan V12 got a makeover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by detracti, Feb 21, 2008.

1. That suck's. I bought mine in Jun'07. I really like the look of the black. Just like Wesley Snipes said " Always bet on black".:smug:

2. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    How's it doing for you? Must be amazing.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got the old version. They had the new version in the Mesa Boogie store. I liked the way it looked, but I'm not a big fan of those knobs. I like the look of the silver still, so I suppose to each their own. It must be the Aguilar heritage in me, but I associate Silver with being more expensive and black with being cheaper - if you look at the DB line vs the AG line.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Looks massive.

5. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    +1 I like the silver better too. Of course, that's what I have so I may be biased..... nah, silver rocks.

6. hansC

hansC

Nov 8, 2006
    Clinton, NY
    Why does the Titan put out more wattage at 4 ohms than at 2?
    1200 Watts @ 4 Ohms (840 Watts @ 2 Ohms, 650 Watts @ 8 Ohms),
    This makes no sense to me.

7. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    I emailed Mesa about this and they said, "the Titan does run at the full 1200 watts at 4 ohms and 840 at 2 ohms. This was done due to the amount of current/voltage the amp would draw from a wall circuit, and without this change the circuit would trip the breaker of the typical house circuit."

8. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Bummer. My 2 cabs are 4 ohms each. So I'm looking at 840 out of the Titan vs 750 out of my BB750.

Better off just slaving out to my Peavey DPC1400x if I want more power. The 2 channels have power specs nearly identical to the one channel in the BB750.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    With the power ratings aside...you still get more versatility and some nice features out of the Titan.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Either way you color it, that head is one bad mofo. :cool:

11. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    It really doesn't make sense that the amp puts out LESS power into 2 ohms. I could understand limiting it to the same output at 2 and 4, because that wouldn't put any additional stress on the output devices and should not draw much, if any, additional current from the wall (after all, wattage is wattage, and I'm sure the efficiency of the amplifier doesn't change drastically from 4 to 2 ohms). But less power?! :confused: There's no good reason to do that.

Asad

12. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    +1

13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I wonder if there is some kind of output regulator somewhere between the transformer and the transistors that would protect the amp during 2 ohm operation. I've heard of the idea but never seen it applied.

14. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I brought the topic of the lower wattage @ 2ohms up in another thread. It was never confirmed, but somone brought u te possibility that it is two amps (like a stereo amp) but you can only use both if it's in the 4ohm configuration. Not sure if it's true, but you never know. Maybe the two separately pull too much power...?

15. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Just checked, and this is apparently how their new Fathom head works. It has an impedance switch, sort of like you have with tube heads.

600 watts @ 2 and 4 ohms.

16. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    That makes a lot of sense -- with a switch (also like the GBE PowerFlex switch) you could switch in the appropriate bias or current-limit resistors for the load.

Asad

17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    That is so metal, I think I'm bleeding.

18. So much awesome.