1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looks like Warwick has butchered the thumb...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Apr 19, 2006.

1. http://basscentral.com/warwick/thumb_bolt_on.shtml

(Scroll down for the 5 string)

It probably does sounds good, but the P Pup just doesn't fit in to me. The woods also look very sexy, just the P pup... But then again this ones looks might grow on me like the Bongo's did. I probably would of liked it with a second JJ or a MM-J or MM-MM config.

Your thoughts?

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i actually totally dig it. then again, i'm a p pup fan all the way. so yea.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I like it! Limited Edition that may become a hot seller, or will it become a dog that noone likes?

I like it!

4. I like it actually, dont know how it will sound, but i really like most PJs i've heard

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Seen before when it was first released, I dont really like the top.

6. Weird, the retail price is lower than I would expect in comparison to the other Thumbs.

7. So... A different pickup configuration (meaning the bass is now a consideration for a WHOLE NEW audience of players) is considered butchering???

Hmm... Not in my head. Sure, a soapbar setup would look cleaner, but they already have that, I guess Wilfer wanted to try something new. I personally dig it, especially the top.

-Ryan.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If the P-pickups were moved a bit more towards the bridge, JUST A TAD, i'd buy in in a minute. It'd be the only warwick i'd buy.

-mark

9. i think its gorgeous...i love the thumb tone...so i would give that one a shot as well

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think that looks really interesting, and potentially fantastic. I want to try one.

11. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I would love to have that bass. P PUP really make that a versatile bass.

12. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Looks silly, but not any moreso than the two soapbars near the bridge.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Pretty cool actually ... I have owned two "Thumb-Bolts" in the past and not being the biggest J pickup fan on the planet, I like the idea of the P and dubl J ...

14. I don't think it will have the growly Thumb tone we all know and love, the woods are way different.

And after looking at it now a few more times, it's grown on me a bit. But I still think the P pickup on the Thumb body shape doesn't look right, especially with it so close to the neck. Maybe if it were closer to the bridge like Mark mentioned or if if was reversed P set up, it wouldn't look so odd to me.

Deathbloomslife, why so worked up about my opinion? Chillax, etc...:p

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Thumb was butchered in its initial design phase.

16. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I love it. Far from being butchered, and if I had the money I would snatch that one up for sure!

17. IMO it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the thumb bass. They should have just released a whole new bass if they were going to change all the woods and pickup configuration.

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    That is why it is limited edition.
    I think the different wood looks sweet. They did something with the Thumb before where they made the "bleached blonde" model:
    [​IMG]

This new one seems to have the Streamer Stage 1 P-pickups and the Infinity SN double pickup in the back... Probably some totally different tone from this Thumb in comparison to what I am used to hearing.

19. I'm definitely gonna go to GC soon and see if they have it in there yet (they probably do, the NYC one tends to get the good/LTD stuff early).

I loved the Bleached Blonde Thumb, I can see one of those in my arsenal later on...

20. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    It says its a Hans Peter Signature, so as long as theyre still producing the normal thumb, whats the problem?

Same body shape, but a different bass IMO.