1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looks Promising IF ::::

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Oct 7, 2010.

1. I see it has a skull & crossbones on the neck plate. Oh, well - I can just toss that out and put a stock Fender plate on it.

Other than that - it's only 5-days away! {avail: Oct 12th}

I like the semi big-head on it, and I'm kinda hung on the P/J combos now too since my VM-Jaguar.

fender_duffsign_bass.jpg

Fender Duff McKagan Signature Bass Features:
    * Body: Alder, Precision Bass Body
    * Neck: Maple, Jazz Bass Neck, Modern "C" Shape (Gloss Urethane Finish)
    * Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9-1/2" Radius (241 mm)
    * Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    * Pickups: 1 Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup with Alnico Magnets (Mid),
    * 1 Seymour Duncan STKJ2B Jazz Bass Pickup (Bridge)
    * Controls: Volume, Volume, Master TBX Circuit (Treble Bass Expander)
    * Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle:
    * Position 1. Jazz Bass Pickup
    * Position 2. Jazz Bass and Precision Bass Pickups
    * Position 3. Precision Bass Pickup
    * Bridge: Black Standard 4-Saddle
    * Machine Heads: Black Standard Open Gear
    * Hardware: Black
    * Pickguard: None
    * Scale Length: 34" (863.6 mm)
    * Width at Nut: 1-1/2" (38 mm)​

Unique Features:
    All Black Painted Neck and Headstock, Skull and Crossbones on Neckplate, Jazz Bass Special Logo, Master TBX Tone Circuit, Side Mounted Output Jack, Thick Knurled Black Control Knobs, White Dot Position Inlays
    * Strings: Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS,
    * Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100)
    * Case: Fender Deluxe Gig Bag​

2. is a little metal plate that no one is ever going to see really a dealbreaker, let alone worth replacing?

3. I'd know it's there and although not a deal breaker, it would be replaced instantly. For me - that's a no-brainer.

I want to play this bass when it becomes available - and that's the biggest qualifier. If I like it - then I also get the Fender style neck plate.

If I eventually get it, the neck plate will go to the highest bidder - and if no bidders, then into the circular receptacle.

4. Other than the black headstock, it's kick ass. If it were a black bass I'd dig the black headstock though... Don't think I'm racist or anything. :p I know... Duff didn't play a black... blah blah. Doesn't mean it wouldn't look better as a black bass or with a white headstock.

5. This bass has been available for awhile, like YEARS. Its basically a copy of a MIJ fender jazz bass special which was the bass then 22 year old duff bought with GNR's first record advance, later upgraded with a seymour duncan jazz pickup in the bridge.

I like duff but I would never own that, rather have the original 80's one like he had, btw there is one in the classifieds for 430$ shipped in a hardcase.

Hands down better basses, even tho duff claims the sig models are better then the originals , I dont feel the same.

6. Duff did play a black one , almost as much as his white one.

Duff_McKagan-13819.jpg

r157371_570463.jpg

and one in use

7. Personally, the only basses I like with black headstocks are Gibsons and pointy headstock'd "spandex specials"

8. I should add that I've just bought one of those aforementioned "Spandex Specials": A white Kramer Forum III

9. Hey, lookie there! Duff's a SD fan! Cool, btw. See... Black basses ftw, anyway! :D

10. You know that I like new and don't really think of a bass as mine if someone owned it before me.

What could you recommend in that P/J configuration that is new on the market?

Thinking MiA or CiJ here, I would even consider another MiM if it's as good as my Deluxe Active Jazz.

I trust your experience and your honesty.

11. Forgot about the fact you perfer new basses.

Personally I would order a CIJ bass, I would order one that is only available for japan and never would make it to america unless personally ordered.

I guess you could get the MIM deluxe active jazz but i had one and that was not my favorite bass.

Japan has some sweet fender aerodynes I had one and I loved it in dolphin gray.

[​IMG]

mine was like this, only available in Japan you could order one new.

[​IMG]

12. Yeah - I've already got the MiM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz:::

100_6829.png

I was just thinking of taking the big leap and going MiA for my first time.

I've got MiI, MiK, MiM and just wanted to round out the stable.

And of course, I'd like to stay with Fender too.

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Duff actually played a Black Forum Three... and he didn't like it, or its pre amp.

14. Aerodynes are so sweet

15. Yep, easily seen in the sweet child o' mine vid. He stated he hated active basses, and it was unreliable and stop working multiple times, fried pre amp and dead batteries, yet I have seen him use a stingray very rarely tho.

16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    A pity... I almost wish he had of ditched Fender for Kramer back in the day. :bag: