Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looks/sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Once

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Sometimes

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Always

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    ok so sound is most important but how many of u have sacrificed some sound for a bass that looks just that little bit kooler just out of curiosity

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I dont think its a case of sacrifice, but more that of 'the pretty ones' draw you in to sample, and unless you know whats behind the 'not so dynamic' ones soundwise, you may not try them..

much like highschool girls :D (i wish;))

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well.. I don't know. looks are kind of important.. but I would much rather have tone... besides most of the Really excellent sounded basses I've played and seen look pretty good to me

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this is really hard to say.
    if they look great i can sacrafice some things.
    but if they aren't they have to be really great. they have to feel great. be able to take what ever i throw at her. you know what i mean.

i guess this also implies for basses.

steve

5. I've never had to.
    All my basses look and sound great.

...except for the Sammick wich both sounds and looks bad.:)

6. I wouldn't ever sacrifice sound for looks. Same with feel. A really good bass will look, sound and feel great, though these things are subjective to a certain degree.

Geoff

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I can name a few of basses and some that people think of as a god of basses, but their all looks.

I think and the other hand a builder that builds a wonderfull sounding instrument can make it beautifull with out any problem. Cosmetic's are much easier to to blend into an instrument then tone!

8. Care to name a few?

Geoff

9. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Playability comes first for me. Then tone. Then looks after that.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sound first, looks second. Besides, there's no such thing as an ugly bass - some just are more "personal" looking than others :D

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's one he's mention several times in the past...if you do a search and SCROLL through it, you'd know more or LES which one he's talking about :)

12. I'd sacrifice looks for playability and tone.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

;)

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    My bass buying procedure is to build up an idea of the specifications I'm after (and why I want them), work out my budget and then visit some places where I can try a selection that fit the criteria.

If I was looking for something that is widely available (eg. four string Fender P-type bass under £750) I guess I might miss a gem by concentrating on trying out the ones that looked more appealing. However, last time I went shopping I had quite specific aims (headless six string with wide spacing) which narrowed down my choices enough that I could try all the instruments that fit.

Martin Peterson at the Gallery did actually have FOUR such basses in, but fortunately the one that sounded sweetest to my ears also looked sweetest to my eyes and so the looks / sound issue was not a problem :)

Anyway - my vote is how it sounds, all the time.

Wulf

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    e..ev..even if its..its..one of these..but in b..bb..bass form?

*looks away*
    [​IMG]
    ?

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Pimp's Credo:

Purse first, ass last.

Take that to heart my friend, for it serves the bass shopper well.

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    May be I should rephrase my statement to "... how it sounds and other functional considerations all the time"?

Something in the shape of the Prince guitar would fail the 'can I fit it in a gig bag' test... ;)

Wulf