Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looky what I found, whilest scanning MF...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Sep 4, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I saw them too, but didn't want to ask about 'em, because I can't stand the "what do you think of this bass" threads.

So, what does everyone think of this bass?

;)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For that price, you can get a REAL stingray used in excellent condition on Ebay . . . and have a superior instrument with better resale value.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Speaking of which, I saw a nice Red SR5 @ 5th Ave Fret shop last week... My 1st visit there, neat store.

5. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Definatly look for a real used one.

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I cannot stand the huge body of a SR5, I would be inclined to buy the SUB 5 as the SUB 4 sounds like a Ray to me...and I have owned 3 real ones...

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, if you don't end up with someone else's junk instead.

I'm still not 100% sold on buying instruments sight unseen. Sorry.

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Very interesting, can somebody detail the differences in the more expensive stingrays and the SUB's? I see they are still american made, but did they just eliminate the option list and that brought down the cost?
    By the way, I like the pickguard design on the SUB better than the SR5. Not the material, but the shape.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. The two things that I don't like about the 'Ray 5 are the string spacing, and that huge piece of plastic covering almost the whole front of the bass.