Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looky what I got!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NCorder, Dec 15, 2003.

1. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I just got this one off ebay:
    [​IMG]
    heres the back:
    [​IMG]
    I think its a Toby Pro B Custom. They brought back the asymetrical neck, added decent looking bubinga (which is probably what the 'B' stands for in the model name). It also has an oil finish.

Now, I know its not a pre-gibson Tobias or anything, but I'm still stoked to get it!

-Nate

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

cool man. :)

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    cool man. as longs as it works for you it matters not what the rest of us think !

Peace,
    Don

ps. looks good BTW

4. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks DonZ, I couldn't agree more!
    Doing a search brought up a handful of posts on the Toby's, but I couldn't find anything on the ones with Bubinga body wings. I'm really curious how close the Asym neck is to the older (pre-MusicYo) and pre-gibson necks. I remember playing a Classic 5 in a store about 4 years ago and fell in love with the neck!

5. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I just went to Gibsons web site to see if anything new has popped up on their new US-made line and found this. I'm assuming you can order the newbies at your local Gibson dealer?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ohh purty.

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I like it. Very nice. [​IMG]

8. I know a lot of people really dont seem to like these basses, but I really want one of those in a 4 string, they look great and I really need a new 4.

9. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Can you tell me the string spacing at the bridge on the fivers please? Peace Eric

10. im jealous. its a nice bass

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Oh my...:cool:

Must

Have

One

NOW!

Congratulations. Any one want a precision? (j/k)

12. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Now that I've had the bass in my possession for about a week or so, and have gigged with it a few times, I can compare it to my other Toby Pro-5 (not the 'custom B'). I must say the Asym neck on the custom is WAY more comfy than the standard. I also favor the oil finish compared to the satin lacquered finish.

The biggest difference between the 2 basses is the volume. My standard Toby Pro fell victim to the infamous 'weak electronics' that everyone complains about on these basses. The tone was alright, but the volume output was lower than any other bass i've ever played, active or passive. My new Toby Pro custom B is a lot louder, althought the electronics are supposed to be the same. It's not as loud as my Warwick Thumb, but about as loud as you'd expect from an active bass. I've also noticed that the treble boost is more dramatic than in my older Toby.

I guess I expected this bass to perform about the same as my standard Toby, but was pleasantly surprised instead. :)