Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loooper Blend Pot Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shauny, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Right I'd just like some things I'm not sure clarified. Am I right in saying:

Dry: ''Clean'' Bass signal
    Wet: ''Effected'' Bass signal

Are these the correct definitions?

Secondly if I'm right does that mean say I had a loooper with a blend pot I can set it to say 50% meaning I would hear a clean bass mixed with an effected signal. I ask this cos I love experimenting with bass effects but I often step back from using them in my band cos the straight bass sound just sounds better with our music usually. Would this be a good way to comprimise prehapes and get a clean sound but with a bit of flavour?

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes, Dry=Clean and Wet=Effected.

Correct on the second part too. It also comes in handy when using an effect that sucks away your low end, the blend knob allows you to put some extra "clean" back into the signal, thus, the low end.

Also something to think about--I don't see any major point in using an effect if you're only going to go halfway with it, and make it really hard/impossible to hear the difference between slightly effected and dry signal. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but it's something to keep in mind before you blow too much money on it :)

-Dash

3. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I have a loooper with a master blend and also a blend for my 1st looop. I use the 1st looop blend for my rust ride(completly sucks all bottom end) and I usually don't use the master blend thought it is nice having it just in case.

I'd mostly agree with Dash on going balls to the wall with an effect but there are some times and some effects where it just isn't necessary to do so. For some effects it is necessary to have a blend. For me the rust ride wouldn't be half the pedal it is without the loooper.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I plan on getting a loooper for my old DOD 250. I hope it solves my woes.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the loooper has a passive blend control, which can't be relied upon 100% to do clean/wet mixes due to differing impedances of the dry/wet signals.
    If you do a search on this forum, you'll find a number of threads that mention this. Dave Boggs even says on his site:

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use an LS-2 to switch my fx on/off in the RBI's fx loop. Chorus/phase/wah/tremolo etc are a bit too subtle with clean bass when blended, but I don't do that - I only ever use modulation fx after a distortion of some sort. Delays sound cool even when run in blend mode, so I'm happy :)

I _am_ tempted to get a Tym Guitars 'Big Bottom' pedal*, as Tim's workshop is 20 mins from my house. However, I'm moving towards a bi-amped setup, (one for clean, one for all the filth and weirdness), so it may not be necessary.

*frequency splitter/loop