Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loooper Problems...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 29, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    So I've had my single-unit Loooper for the better part of 2+ years now, and all of a sudden it's started shorting out on me. Like I'll have everything plugged in, powered, ready to go, and sometimes it won't give me anything and others it'll work for a little bit, but when something moves, it cuts out again. I know it doesn't have that many parts inside of it, but what do y'all think could be causing something like this?? I haven't added anything new to make it work differently, and so it's pretty much useless right now even tho my sig degredation is pretty bad with 6 pedals, but I'd much rather have that than repeat last night where I was only audible for a few songs (it's a set concert with videos etc.., so no real time to switch out gear etc..).

I have no idea what to do! :( I'm planning on buying a new Loooper soon anyhow, but I'd like this one to work as long as it can... ?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That sounds like a cable problem. Have you tried swapping out all the cables with known good ones?

If it is not a cable, it could be one of the loooper jacks. But a 2+ year old jack shouldn't give problems.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    No, it's not a cable problem b/c I've tried it with various Monster Bass 500's that I have, and they work fine when I plug them into my Peavey practice amp or straight in (bypassing the pedalboard).

And I know it's the pedal itself b/c when I tap it sometimes when it's cutting out it comes back on, and I have to at times keep my foot on it for it to keep sending. It's really odd, but I was gonna upgrade soon anyhow... I guess it'll just be sooner than expected!

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I had the same problem with a Loooper I bought a couple of years ago. I bought the Micro version, which is really tiny. I sent it back, but it continued to short out. I eventually bought a bigger aluminum project box and wired in the electronics, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. In my case, I think the jacks in the Micro version were so close together that they would sometimes short out.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah mine's actually pretty small, even for a 1-loop unit.

Well, I plan on getting a Rocktron or Voodoo 9/8 bay patch unit for my rack setup soon, possibly, if I have enough space (how many pedals can you fit into a 2-space rack drawer space- anyone know?) and use a MIDI board to control it. But I guess I'll just go thru my pedals till then. I donno how to fix it, but I can't continue to use it. Sucks that now I'm gigging so much it's not working correctly. :meh:

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

What do you guys think of the Boomerang or the new Gibson Echoplex?

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Well I ended up just buying a Boss LS-2 Line Selector. I'd read some really cool things about these in the past, but whew- after getting one new (from my local music store- support it!!) and now gigging with it, it's a dream.

I LOVE how it fades in and out seamlessly when switching it off and on. I need to get some more George L's so I can put my auto wah and phaser and OD into a loop and then leave my delay and chorus in the 2nd one. Plus the level adjustments are a dream. A little bit more expensive than a similarly-equipped Loooper, but I already like it a bit better.

Even though it's not technically "true bypass", I really like having a buffer now going into my amp from my basses. It was a little bit too bright coming from my Spector, but now I have my Boss TU-2 and LS-2 before going into the amp, and I can barely notice any signal loss.

Killer!! :bassist: