Loooper with Blend knob...bummer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mo'Phat, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I just recently received my Loooper, it's a simple 1 loooper with blend knob option. The entire point of this purchase was to bypass my entire pedal board (via loooper) and blend my original signal with my pedal effects when the loooper is engaged. Sounds simple, right? Sounds like what the blend knob is supposed to do...

Well, when I put the blend knob to 100% Dry, I have full volume...when I put it to 100% Wet, I have full volume...but when I put it at 50/50, there's less than half the volume. It's completely useless for my purposes.

When I spoke with Dave Boggs at Loooper about this, he asked me what my pedal chain is. I told him:
    Boss Tu-2 tuner
    Dunlop 105Q bass wah
    Boss ODB-3 overdrive
    Digitech Bass Synth/Wah
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss BF-3 Bass Flanger
    Danelectro Dan-Echo delay

He told me that there's "too many buffers" and that "Typically, when someone uses a Blend Pot, there are only 1 or 2 effects in the loop."

Question: If there are too many buffers, wouldn't the volume at 100% Wet be less than 100% dry because it's being buffered?

I'm just wondering if I wasted $66.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You need a buffered looper, such as a Boss LS-2.
  3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Hmm, that's odd. I got a Single Loooper as well, but no Blend as I didn't really see the need for it. I have 5 Boss pedals running in it, and have perfect results. I just adjusted the volume/gain on each pedal to match the Dry volume, and my rig works perfectly. Any reason for the Blend knob, specifically? Like I was saying, mine doesn't have one and the volumes are all fine for me.
  4. For the simple reason of flexibility. It would be "nice" to blend my clean with my effected signal. I really like envelope filters and synth/modulation effects, but there are times when I want the clean signal under it.

FWIW, the loooper aspect of the pedal (disregarding the blend) works flawlessly. I have a really clean signal anyway, not much noise or loss-of-signal at all (thank you George L and Monster Cables), so all I was really looking for was a good, small mixer, like a loooper w/ blend knob.
  5. I see you use both a loooper (w/o blend) for your Korg, Plus the Boss LS-2. Did you go with the LS-2 for the buffered blend, and did you know in advance of the shortcomings of the loooper blend before you opted against it?
  6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I gotcha. Yeah, I remember being told that I probably needed at least 2 looops for my set of pedals just for flexibility, but it goes:
    Boss TU-2 tuner->Boss DD3 delay->Boss CEB3 bass chorus->Boss BF-2 flanger->Ibanez PD7 OD/dist
    So, I usually use all of the modulation effects with one another, or mostly delay&flange, and chorus separately, so my 1 looop is enough.
    Anyhow, that really sucks, though! I figured Dave would of been more helpful upfront about it. He definitely was with mine. Those Boss Line Selectors are great, though.
  7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I wish he'd told me that too! My blend pot has exactly the same problem. I've found I don't really need it, but it is irritating!

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it is mentioned on their ordering page as a concern, but maybe not as prominently as it should:

"Please note- Loooper cannot guarantee the results of using various pedals with the Blend Pot Option or the Parallel Option. In some instances, pedals do not function well when used in these configurations. Contact us for more details."

I had this issue myself, back when he started offering the blend / parallel options.
  9. I've already taken it out of my signal chain. I've always had a pretty clean signal path, so this isn't really worth it for me. Look for it in the classifieds section...maybe. PM me if anybody's interested. It looks like the one below, except the blend switch is above the knob.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The only problem with the Boss LS-2 is that it is not true-bypass . . . its a tone-sucker. Mine collects dust in the closet for that reason. I was amazed by how much it destroyed the guts in my low end.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use a two loop loooper with the parallel option with great results. I don't want to be overly critical, but you need to have an idea of how you are running your pedals and what mixing signals will do before you buy something like that and don't get what you expected.
  12. I'm not sure I could've possibly expected to have a 50% + loss of volume when I engaged the blend. As davidmwilson said, there's a small 'blurb' at the bottom of the Custom Options page (nowhere near the blend or parallel switch descriptions, mind you) that I must have missed when I browsed his site. For that matter, I assumed (silly of me, I know) that my effects wouldn't be affected. I play stompboxes. I assumed (again) that that he was referring to high-output effects, like EH, etc.

If I had taken my cord straight from bass to amp and had one volume...then plugged into my effects and had 1/2 the volume, I would have understood that the blend would have been less than full volume.

As I said, I have near zero signal/volume loss when going through my effects, so I still don't understand why the blend would cut my volume in half. It doesn't work like any mixer I've ever had. I don't even really understand how this would work with just one effect in the loop.
  13. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    It's kind of hard to explain why this happens without going too far out my depth with the electronics of it all, but the blend knob on a Loooper is a simple passive potentiometer, whereas a mixer will use the electricity you're pumping into it to make sure that you don't loose volume. I think that words like "impedance mis-match" start to crop up when you look into it, but I was never that great with electronics. :rollno:
  14. Jazz Ad

I tried mine into the Loooper to test it. Can't say I noticed a difference.
    Just because it's not true bypass doesn't make it a tonesucker.

As for using both, it's for different purposes.
    The Loooper is used as a bypass for my Korg. Nothing more, nothing less.
    The LS-2 gives many tonal options. Great unit. Much better than a Loooper for combining loops. Preamps on each channel allow me to adjust volume of each loop, it provides a +20 dB clean boost to overdrive my SansAmp, allows mixing dry and wet signal and can be used like an A/B box to plug 2 basses together at the turn of a knob, even if one is passive and the other active. A Loooper doesn't allow anything like that.
  15. Jazz Ad Your avatar both disturbs me and hypnotizes me. 75% disturb and 25% hypnotize, but I fear it nonetheless.
  16. Jazz Ad

The little guy seems to be happy, running free.