1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loop Pedal as Practice Tool

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Anthony White, Mar 13, 2020.

1. A couple months ago, @flatback mentioned in the Sarno BB thread that he uses a loop pedal as part of his practice.

This was new to me, and there is something really exciting about the idea. I use an audio recorder from time to time to record my practice and listen back, but it’s: record - stop - plug-in - listen back. A loop pedal could potentially be: loop - listen - loop - listen.

I’m curious whether anyone else uses a loop pedal for practice, and how they use it?

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Hey nice man just to get a little deeper into it I use the looping pedal daily to: play half time bass lines in and play melodies and solos. Arco melodies on top of bass lines, drum genius tracks with the above, drum genius odd time grooves with contrasting improv. Free improv with different densities so that the second track completes the musical statements. Hi low duets, Bergonzi pentatonic and Hexatonic patterns over pads and progressions. Beat adjustment feedback training ( ahead behind) rhythmic complexity simplicity training, large cycle practice,
    All of these things work really well if you have instant feedback to adjust your playing to. Intonation, note length, legato, listening and responding, transcribing unusual things you played and liked but don’t know what you did etc.
    The looping pedal is indispensable. It is also really unforgiving so getting used to how you actually sound vs. how you think you sound is bracing and humbling.

catcauphonic likes this.
  3. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    yeah, I've been thinking about that as well. Here's another application I've heard from @flatback...
    You can put the looper ahead of something like the Felix (or other tone shaper) and while it's looping away at something you just played, you can fine tune the eq downstream of it

Michael Drost likes this.
  4. cmcbass

cmcbass Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I use a looper pedal whenever I'm playing alone. I'll loop something and then hop on a drum kit and play along. It helps with inspiration and creativity for me. It also helps with timing, because you have to play at a consistent speed to loop properly.

5. Thanks @flatback. These are such great ideas. And also this "put the looper ahead of something like the Felix (or other tone shaper) and while it's looping away at something you just played, you can fine tune the eq downstream of it" is a really great idea for practicing setting up an EQ etc.

Could I ask what pedal you use, and what else you have in the signal path to make it work? A two-input loop pedal, I'm guessing?

6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'm curious as well!

I just started messing around with a Boss RC-2 my guitarist neighbor loaned me until I can get my own, and I've been eyeballing the TC Flashback 2 Delay/Looper for better ease of use (plus it's flexible Toneprint Delay feature), unless somebody could recommend something better in the same price range.

I started out with the Boss at the end of my pedalboard at home so I could incorporate the pedals into making loops, and found its super handy in the front after just recieving a brand new distortion, as well as testing other pedals for optimal settings thru my bass and rig. Easier than having to stop playing to twiddle knobs and then try to recreate the exact lines again.

One of the funner local acts I've seen recently was 3 young gals... a singer, a drummer, and a guitarist (yea, no bass is always a bummer) but the guitarist started almost every song by laying down a rad bassy loop and playing guitar over it as the other 2 members would kick in :bassist: Fun stuff!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021