Loop Pedal Recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 20one, Apr 8, 2003.

1. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I'm lookin to get some type of loop machine that can do simple 10-30 second phrase loops. Only thing I've been able to find locally is a Boomerang pedal board that costs 500 bucks, which is way out of my price range. Was just wondering if I could get something elsewhere for a much cheaper price.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanx.
  2. Akai Headrush, it runs for about $130 I think, ImNotGeddyLee has tried one, so maybe he could post a review of it

3. hey, that's my line!! :D :p ;)
  4. I have an akai headrush and though it is in awesome pedal i must say that i am having a hell of a time trying to get the timing right when looping with a band. It does sound great though and is easy to use but i just cant get the timing perfect (and it needs to be PERFECT... milisecond off and itll screw everyone up).
  5. I love mine. You do have to work at being spot on with your sampling but that's good for ya to work on anyways. this box has really free'd up our trio and you can hear it in action at my weblink on "Struggle", "Each Breath" and "Transonic."
    I run the "effect out" into the passive input on my amp and my regular "dry" signal into the active input so that I can mix the two signals. Otherwise you stand a chance of burying the sample. Using two different bass tones goes a long way as well.

6. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

8. BH, I had one too for a while, and the only difficult part I couldn't figure out was how to store loops, but other than that, I thought it had a good user interface.
  9. another vote for the headrush. it's very versitile for looping and other delays. a little hard to eliminate the clicking with the loop cycles back especially if you are trying to get seamless tones (like i keep struggling to do).
  10. I have no problems with clicking. My loops seem to be seamless as far as I can tell. I have been using mine for two years now.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You have to have the knob with 1-10 set to the number you want to store the loop at, make the loop, hit the write button for a couple of seconds, stored.
  12. The kind of loops I've been working with are notes or chords that I want to sustain infinately like a keyboard basically. I use them for ambient layers types of stuff.

Have you found that if you run through the 23 second cycle (past the point where the red light flashes) the loop stays solid? That's the only luck I've had in getting the tones I'm looking for.

But for timed loops with breaks there is no clicking it's only during these extended tones.