1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loop pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Reverend, Apr 17, 2009.

1. The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Dec 3, 2008
    I'm starting a new music project and it's shaping up to like like a simple bass & drum format. Anyway i'm looking into loop pedals as a result. I don't want to spend a huge amount of cash on this but i'm willing to spend a little extra for a pedal that's simple to use and reliable. Can anyone recommend anything?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What's the most you want to spend?

Do you want lots of saved loops or to mostly loop on the fly?

Are you going to use one loop per song or multiple loops?

3. The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Dec 3, 2008
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The RC series from Boss is quite popular- very easy to use. You can stack an unlimited number of loops on top of each other with them- you can only take away the very last loop though, and each loop will have to be the same length as the original loop.

5. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    The new Boss Jam Man list at $299 i think , and will give you more time (1GB)

6. I use the Akai E2 Headrush. VERY simple to use looper PLUS some nice delays and tape echo. The only downside is that you can't store loops. I demo'd the Boss RC2, the Line 6 DM4, and the Boss RC20XL but ended up going with the Akai and I'm very happy with it.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm guessing you mean the Digitech Jamman, which has been out for a few years.

8. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may be right ,but i thought the sales person said it was Boss, because that was what i asked for.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Is it live drums or will you be using a drum machine? If it's a drum machine, you'll probably want to make sure the looper can accept a MIDI clock signal, so syncing up will be easier.

Have you looked at the Electro-Harmonix 2880? It may be a bit out of your price range, but IMO it's the best pedal-based looper around.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the cheaper loop pedals can do more than one independent loop. You'd be looking for at least the Boss RC50, the 2880, or the Boomerang for that, if memory serves.