Looper and beatbuddy together for latin jazz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Oct 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi,
    I just ordered a beatbuddy for a latin jazz trio voc/piano/bass.
    I am also playing a bunch of tunes where I play guitar-like melodies.I play a 5 string E-C.
    So currently when I play the heads, the piano player plays the bass line, but since it's latin music I wish he could play montunos behind me which is why I'm thinking about buying a looper to go with the beatbuddy.
    What I'm worried about is when I record a bass tumbao that unless I'm totally accurate at punching in and out it will be out of sync with the beatbuddy. And if it is just a little off , then it gets worse the more the tumbao cycles against the drum track. Is that right?
    I know there is a lot of info already on this forum, but it is so much that I'm overwhelmed.
    So can somebody help me out please and tell me what is the best way to make sure I always have the tumbao locked with the beat buddy?
    Which looper would be best for what I'm trying to do? I also wouldn't mind being able to record a couple of loops (verse /chorus) so that I could transition smoothly from one section to the next.
    We also have a full band but gigs are really hard to come by for that, but there are lots of opportunities for smaller ensembles, which is why I want to try this. Is anybody here who is doing a similar thing?

2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I'm not an expert on any of this, but the key words are going to be "MIDI sync". Search for "beatbuddy midi sync" on YouTube for a bunch of demos.

I think that the main limitation is that it isn't going to be easy to change tempo or loop bar-count.

The main contenders are probably going to be the "Pigtronix Infinity Looper" and the "Boomerang". The main difference is the number of parts. IIRC the Infinity holds 2 and the Boomerang can do 4, but I'm really stretching my memory here, so do some reading before pulling the trigger on any of them.

3. I looked at those and they are pretty pricey. I was hoping there would be a less expensive solution. I suppose I'll have some time to really get to know the Beatbuddy first before I have some more money to spend :)

ProfFrink likes this.
  4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I have an Infinity and it works perfectly. ProfFink is right, you need to look for loopers that have MIDI sync capabilities, and the Infinity and the Boomerang are going to be your top options. I have only owned the Infinity, but my understanding of the comparison of the two is essentially that the Boomerang has more flexible options for live use with the 4 different loops that you can have, while the Infinity still has two loops but has better options for storing pre-recorded loops. Also it's my understanding that the syncing between the Beat Buddy and the Infinity is a little more flexible. On the Infinity you can sync "to the measure" instead of "to the beat." Basically, you hit record and it will start at the beginning of the next measure instead of the beginning of the next beat. At least, that's how I understand it---I could be wrong.

ProfFrink likes this.
  5. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    FWIW I think the beatbuddy guys are planning to come out with a cheaper version, so if it still has the capabilities you need and if you can sell or return yours, maybe this can help save some cash towards the looper

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I agree with the above. You NEED midi sync.

I use the BeatBuddy and the Boomerang. Very easy to use. Very easy to sync. As Adamixoye said, the Boomerang does not store loops. Once you shut it off, the loop is gone. Forever. But the fact it doesn't store loops, it was designed for live, performance looping.

If you need to store loops, get the Infinity. If you don't, compare and follow your heart.

7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    From what I've seen the Beat Buddy Mini is VERY limited compared to the full version, including---relevant to this discussion---it does not have MIDI capabilities.

This.

ProfFrink likes this.
  8. On one hand being able to store loops is nice on he other hand that would be more like playing to tracks.I could then just bring a laptop.
    Are there any other loopers that have this Midi sync feature or are the Infinity and the Boomerang the only game in town?

9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    These are probably the best two for MIDI sync in a pedal-format looper.

The Boss RC series do have some MIDI capability, depending on which one you get. I'm not just if any of the Digitech Jamman models do. The Eventide H9/Timefactor have a looper algorithm which does MIDI sync, but I found it very difficult to use. Not even on the same planet as the Infinity.

10. Yeah. it needs to be relatively easy to use. I've made a bunch of changes recently. For thirtyfive years I have stayed away from effects.Thought fresh strings are the best effect you can have. Now I have a pedal board and then the Hi C string and the two stage d'tuner. That's plenty. I'm 59 and my brain isn't used to learning too many new tricks at once.

11. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The Beat Buddy / Infinity pairing is dead simple. Just make sure you have the latest firmware and then hook them up.

12. Garahhauggghhh!

Adamixoye! You and your loopers!

Gimmeagig, I'm like you – I don't want to play to "backing tracks" whether that's a Seedy/MPee3-playor-confuter-iPud-tahblat-regurgitator thingy or a staind-ablown puddle.

So, I thought a Boomerang best fit the bills-to-pay form eek!

However, what if you play something really cool into the looper and have no idea how/what you did and you want to preserve it to later relearn it?
    Of course you can record your whole show, even do a separate line-out to isolate your bass in the recording to make it easier etc ... but then that gets complicatedly expansive and conflictingly consumerballistically expensive, too.

So, I'm still bouncing back and forth, infinitely torn between Infinity & Boomerang.

Like Adamixoye, I've got the BeatBuddy already so it's tempting to follow his Looping-MIDI shrewdness-goodness Guru'dness on this matter. Whenever I see a thread with a question like this, the first thought is – get the OP in touch with Adamixoye. He knows of what he speaks ... on this topic anyway ;):spit:;). When I finally get around to MIDI-ing up some bLoopers, Adam's inbox will be spamful with my questions, say for example:
    "The sync channel on the MIDI won't link, what'd I do wrong? Help me Obi-Adamwanixoye-Knowbe, you're my only hope!"

Adamixoye likes this.
  13. Is the Beatbuddy + Infinite still the best option?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022