1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looper for practice

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by David A. Davis, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Hey Ant! I recently purchased a loop station and was wondering if you could offer some insight into different ideas for using loopers as a practice tool.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Dave,

I don't use a looper for practicing. I use for clinics and 'creative' sessions.

I prefer to not use it for practicing because it takes to long to change 'parameters'.

My practice involves changing keys and changing tempos.

With the looper that I have that requires changing loops each time. And that will cut into my practice time.

I use an 'accompaniment' from the iReal Pro app.

I can change keys and tempo at will. And I can even program key changes and tempo in increments.

Meaning,...I can program a chord progression and after each cycle that it plays I can have the key move up a minor 3rd and/or the tempo increase/decrease by, let's say, 5beats per min.

And I dint have to spread time 're-recording' the loop to accommodate it.

For me,...practice is about practice. Not programming stuff to play along too. I'd rather have all of that taken care of.

peace,
    anthony

3. Ok. I have the Boss RC-300, which is capable of transposing and tempo changes. But, I understand what your saying. I also use the I real pro app, very cool. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    iReal Pro is better for practicing.

It's better to have tons of progressions ready to go. I have 3,000 progressions ready to play over.

Makes the most sense to me!

-aw

orange joe and Brazilfunk like this.
  5. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Ima look into that iReal Pro.

6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I use a Boss RC20 as a practice tool. Usually I will play chords in a high register and play different scales against them to hear the relationship.

C/S,
    Rev J

johnm0187 and David A. Davis like this.
  7. I like the idea of have instant play back also. It allows you hear and correct passages right away.

LeeNunn likes this.
  8. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Hey Ant, I have the iReal Pro on my computer, and iPad. I don't know how to work this thing. I am trying to make chord progressions (like the ones you did at the Aguilar workshop) so I can practice doing improv over.

9. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yo Desmund,

You should text or call me.

-aw