Looper not lining up with metronome?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ERicks, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    Hey all, I have a Digitech Jamman Express XT looper that I primarily use to practice. After not messing with it for a while, I hooked it into my board last night and proceeded to make some loops of walking bass lines to try and solo over. I had my metronome (Boss DB30 I think?) on my sheet music stand and turned that on before making my loop. What I noticed was that pretty quickly, the loop would drift off time from the metronome. I made a few just to make sure that I was dead on the click and starting and stopping the recording to make sure that I was looping full measures, but every time it looped around it would drift off more and more. Has anyone else experienced this and figured out any ways around it, or is it just a symptom of loopers in general? Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The main usual reason is that even though you are sure you were "dead on the click", you were off by a few milliseconds, and with each round of the loop, those milliseconds add up. Most of the performers that I have seen using loopers have kept all their time-based automatic elements inside the one looper device--that is they create the rhythm tracks in the looper, instead of trying to sync the live loop with an external rhythm box (or metronome).

tprestonbass, XLunacy and ERicks like this.
  3. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    Fair enough! Hopefully I'll live long enough to see technology that will allow my brain to be put into a robotic body, allowing me to finally attain...PERFECT TIME.

4. What would be the fun in that?

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There's also quantization going on. Most loopers shift the timing of what you play into them slightly so that it lines up to their own internal metronome, which has tried to guess what bpm you're playing at. So even if the playing was exact, the instant where you step on the button to stop recording and start looping might not be precisely in line with the looper's internal timing.