1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looper pedal for odd/mixed meters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Sep 4, 2008.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm interested in purchasing a looper, but much of the music I play strays from 4/4. I'm specifically interested in odd and mixed meter layering. So far I'm considering any looper that has multiple tracks, and leaning towards a used Gibson Echoplex or an EHX 2880. Before I start reading the manuals for all these complicated units, I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with looping in odd meters or looping in different meters per track, and if they have any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well as long as you stay away from anything that will quantise the loop you should be fine with any of them. Having 2 different tracks at the same time either both playing together or being able to switch to them limits your choices down.

The best is the looperlative but quite expensive and very very complex but it can do anything you want.

You might be best with a Boomerang since it has the A/B loops available but I'm not sure if you are trying to have 2 loops as in verse, chorus or 2 layers in different time sigs but same length of time in playing them or worse still :p 2 different loops playing at the same time that are in different time sigs and have different lengths.

But stay away from the Boss units as they quantise it.

Hope this helps

3. echoplex?

4. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    would be ideal :D Thanks for the tip regarding quantization.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    2 loopers would be best if you got the mad skillz for it, else looperlative

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I understand the Boomerang will allow the A and B loops to be different lengths?

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Two loopers might be a good option. It may also be cheaper.

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i dig the electrix repeater. hard to find these days, but there's nothing i want to do with looping that i can't do with my repeater.

9. you could also just record each loop until they match up too lol

for instance, if one line is in 3 and one is in 5, do 5 measures of the 3 and 3 measures of the 5
    then any looper works for you haha!

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The quantize function on the Boss units is optional but you would still need two of them to get two different loops playing simultaneously.

11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i was just playing with my repeater for the past few hours (gotta love rainy saturday's :bassist:) and was jamming while exploring some of the possibilities through the patches i set up on my midi controller and i gotta say...the repeater can really do just about anything.

some of my favorite ways to use the repeater alone is to:
    - create a groove then layer another groove (usually something chord or a counter melody) on top and then solo
    - while soloing set the feedback to 0% which lets me solo over myself while having my last phrase repeated back only once for a rolling delay effect where i can do some cool harmonies over myself (this is a really cool way to use the repeater as a delay pedal too, you can set the length to be as long as you want - even a few minutes!!!). at any point where i want to move the jam along i can just hit undo and turn the effect off. resting and letting your last phrase play to completion is a really elegant way to make this transition really clean.
    - i can then roll the feedback back to 100% and then build a drum line by recording a bass pedal thump for a fully recorded phrase followed by any snare hit or other tap like sounds i want until i have a workable drum beat.
    - fade the volume down or stopping the initial groove on the 1st track while building up something different on the 4th track with the 2nd track still playing (which is a great way to shift the jam smoothly so it doesn't get boring) or fading out or stopping the 2nd track at any time. i can play or stop each track individually so if i want i can have them gradually offset each other to change the feel of the jam too.
    - i can also throw any of the tracks into reverse independently. usually i'll toss a stopped track into reverse and then hit play for that track and fade it into what i'm doing...almost always this sounds cool.
    - i can also change loops smoothly so i can start recording a fresh idea at the end of a full phrase which makes it really easy to completely change your loops length and jump into 4 empty tracks while recording.

the only thing i don't think i can do, but would be amazing to have would be to erase individual tracks (especially while others are playing) or alternatively to be able to copy one or more tracks to a fresh loop...which would accomplish the same thing.

and i've only set up 5 of the 10 banks of 10 patches for my MIDI foot controller!!! if you are interested, i can post (or PM you) what my patches do to give you an idea of how i use the repeater and what it's capable of.

12. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hmm, good point. Then the issue is desyncing. I think when you mix different meters at the same time, synchronization is even more important than with fixed meter music.

It appears that different length loops playing simultaneously and in sync out of one unit does not exist at present, except for the Looperlative I presume. I'm kind of disappointed :(

Maybe I'll look into some software solutions.

13. Ableton Live

14. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Boss RC-50 seems to be the best floor-based unit to me. As stated above, quantization is option and you get up to three different loops going at once, each with unlimited overdubs. Not that you'd use it, but the internal drum machine has odd-metered beats.